• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the best way to remove a 17 year old from an abusive home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Widdershins

I live in Georgia. The child in question is my fiance's sister. The home she currently lives in-- well, it's hectic at best. The mother is abusive and alcoholic. I myself, and my fiance, have been assaulted and battered by both parents. We considered for a time seeking legal action against the parents to attain custody, but we had heard (I am concerned falsely, now) that at 17, police won't typically seek runaways, especially if they are living in better situations. We thought that it would be easier, and less stressful, to go this route. Now I'm worried we made a mistake.

To the point:

Can she leave home at seventeen? Will police pursue her?

We are professional adults and provide a stable home for her with family, does this count for anything? She has begged us to get her out.

If I contact the police prior to removing her, with this lessen or heighten our chances of keeping her?

If this is a bad idea, what other actions should we pursue?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in Georgia. The child in question is my fiance's sister. The home she currently lives in-- well, it's hectic at best. The mother is abusive and alcoholic. I myself, and my fiance, have been assaulted and battered by both parents. We considered for a time seeking legal action against the parents to attain custody, but we had heard (I am concerned falsely, now) that at 17, police won't typically seek runaways, especially if they are living in better situations. We thought that it would be easier, and less stressful, to go this route. Now I'm worried we made a mistake.

To the point:

We are professional adults and provide a stable home for her with family, does this count for anything? She has begged us to get her out.

If I contact the police prior to removing her, with this lessen or heighten our chances of keeping her?

If it is so bad at Mom and Dad's, why hasn't anyone contacted CPS/DHR/DHS? :cool:

sandyclaus

To the point:

You are correct, in that runaways that are that close to the age of majority are not actively pursued and returned to their parents in most jurisdictions.

My question to you is this - why have you not contacted Children's Services to report the abusive home environment that the child is forced to live in? Has the child actually been victimized and abused in the home? Are there any kind of injuries that she has sustained?

Unless and until the problem has been addressed by the proper authorities, if you and your fiancee try to take her in and house her, you run the very real risk of the parents coming after you for harboring a runaway, parental interference, or something similar. At least if Children's Services is involved, you can offer to take the child in as their legal guardian until they reach 18.

Don't wait - if this child is in as much danger as you are claiming they are, then time is of the essence to protect her safety.

OHRoadwarrior

You have not said anything that indicates the child is in danger. What you have indicated is that you and your fiance have had physical altercations with them and you are now attempting to undermine their ability to parent their child. You say she is being abused. Many children equate not having their own car, taking away their cell phone and not letting them date adults as abuse. What abuse is she suffering that is so bad it has never been reported? I'll give you a tip. Stop trying to break up her home. Tell her to move in with you, when she is 18 and you will support her then. She will likely love you forever, if you can afford her.

Widdershins

Some more information

Let me add some more information. I was a bit rushed when I posted this.

We are concerned about her now because of a few developments in the last year. She has told as that her mother has begun hitting her and taking her drunken rages out on her. I know this girl, she is kind, sweet, and dutiful; she would never incite this kind of anger in a stable person. She has taken on all the things that her mother should be doing. She makes dinner every night, washes every single dish,cleans up after everyone...
Her mother has "kicked her out" twice now. The first time, she left to go stay with her cousin and uncle, but her mother changed her mind the next day and told her to come home. The second time, she just let her mother rage and throw her stuff around because she knew it was pointless to leave.
I don't think anyone in the family realizes how bad it has gotten, except the father. As for why he has not done anything, I cannot say. He is a sheep, I suppose. But one night, when my fiance and I were over, an argument erupted between he and his mother. (It was over something stupid, just her annoying him intentionally, and when he told her she'd gone too far, she freaked out). She attacked me out of the blue- I had done nothing, except sitting there calmly while they argued. She charged me, threw me against a wall and grabbed my arm "to break it." She said she wanted to kill me. I hadn't even opened my mouth to say anything to her. She was severely intoxicated. My fiance pulled her off of me, at which point his father decided to attack him. We were both heavily bruised and confused. I really can't figure out how this all happened... it's kind of insane.
Prior to this, we had had some concerns based on the sister's personal complaints and explaining that she thought she was becoming deeply depressed. Her grades were slipping, she was lethargic and could not muster enthusiasm for anything.
The night of the argument, it really became apparent that his sister was living in the most unstable of environments. Before, we weren't sure how much it escalated, and how quickly. We decided we had to do something soon.

We started to contact child services, thinking about pressing charges to the parents to show their "unfit parenting" and really fighting for custody, but we thought that it would be long and trying for everyone involved. We didn't want to cause anymore difficulty for her at home. If it came out that we were seeking custody, she would be the one taking the beating. So we thought, since she only had two months until turning seventeen, and she believed she could leave legally (I've asked a few other people about this, but I wasn't positive of their legal authority) at that point, we decided it might be less severe on her if we just waited. Now we don't have bruises or an assault and battery case to show violence toward one of her children (I've looked this up, even though he is over 18, battery on a child still constitutes unfit parenting) and I'm worried we've waited too long and lost our case.
Now I am concerned that we won't be able to enroll her in school or other activities without custody, or that, even worse, she gets returned to her mother and beaten for her insolence.

This isn't the first time Child Services has been considered, either. The girl's aunt told her she would take custody of her, but the woman never saw it through. We considered doing it as well, but we were worried that without any hard evidence, nothing would come of it except a lot of pain and stress on everyone, on top of her mother's anger.

If I tell the police though, do you think they would help or worsen things? I'm not sure.

To be honest, I'm terrified of losing, of letting her down. She's become so convinced that her mother rules her world and that she will never, ever escape. I feel like if we don't get her out soon, she might become so warped emotionally and mentally that she'll start hurting herself. I really feel like either we save her, or no one does.

ecmst12

You can call CPS. They will investigate and determine if the child should be removed from the home. YOU do not have the power to "press charges" or file for custody. The child's uncle can let CPS know that he is available for kinship placement, if they determine that it is needed.

Widdershins

You can call CPS. They will investigate and determine if the child should be removed from the home. YOU do not have the power to "press charges" or file for custody. The child's uncle can let CPS know that he is available for kinship placement, if they determine that it is needed.
I meant pressing charges for MY assault and battery case. And for the of my fiance, because according to CPS, this is a strong indicator of unfit parents.

Seriously everyone? Stop being so skeptical and give me some decent advice. This is why children die in abusive homes--- because no one SUPPORTS the idea of removing them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I meant pressing charges for MY assault and battery case. And for the of my fiance, because according to CPS, this is a strong indicator of unfit parents.

Seriously everyone? Stop being so skeptical and give me some decent advice. This is why children die in abusive homes--- because no one SUPPORTS the idea of removing them.
Have you called CPS? The Police? Anyone?

Proserpina

Please pay a local attorney to help you further.

And please don't take a hissy fit when you're told something you don't like.

Thanks ever so much!

OHRoadwarrior

You are being given decent advise. It is just not what you want to hear. If you want to press charges for assault, see the prosecutor or local police. If she wants to report abuse or you want to report her abuse, call CPS. The girl is almost 18, unless you are planning on supporting her, in less than a year, shut up and don't screw up her ability to live at home for free.

ecmst12

How long ago did the alleged assault happen? Did either of you receive medical attention and have your injuries documented by the doctor/hospital?

Antigone*

Let me add some more information. I was a bit rushed when I posted this.

We are concerned about her now because of a few developments in the last year. She has told as that her mother has begun hitting her and taking her drunken rages out on her. I know this girl, she is kind, sweet, and dutiful; she would never incite this kind of anger in a stable person. She has taken on all the things that her mother should be doing. She makes dinner every night, washes every single dish,cleans up after everyone...
Her mother has "kicked her out" twice now. The first time, she left to go stay with her cousin and uncle, but her mother changed her mind the next day and told her to come home. The second time, she just let her mother rage and throw her stuff around because she knew it was pointless to leave.
I don't think anyone in the family realizes how bad it has gotten, except the father. As for why he has not done anything, I cannot say. He is a sheep, I suppose. But one night, when my fiance and I were over, an argument erupted between he and his mother. (It was over something stupid, just her annoying him intentionally, and when he told her she'd gone too far, she freaked out). She attacked me out of the blue- I had done nothing, except sitting there calmly while they argued. She charged me, threw me against a wall and grabbed my arm "to break it." She said she wanted to kill me. I hadn't even opened my mouth to say anything to her. She was severely intoxicated. My fiance pulled her off of me, at which point his father decided to attack him. We were both heavily bruised and confused. I really can't figure out how this all happened... it's kind of insane.
Prior to this, we had had some concerns based on the sister's personal complaints and explaining that she thought she was becoming deeply depressed. Her grades were slipping, she was lethargic and could not muster enthusiasm for anything.
The night of the argument, it really became apparent that his sister was living in the most unstable of environments. Before, we weren't sure how much it escalated, and how quickly. We decided we had to do something soon.

We started to contact child services, thinking about pressing charges to the parents to show their "unfit parenting" and really fighting for custody, but we thought that it would be long and trying for everyone involved. We didn't want to cause anymore difficulty for her at home. If it came out that we were seeking custody, she would be the one taking the beating. So we thought, since she only had two months until turning seventeen, and she believed she could leave legally (I've asked a few other people about this, but I wasn't positive of their legal authority) at that point, we decided it might be less severe on her if we just waited. Now we don't have bruises or an assault and battery case to show violence toward one of her children (I've looked this up, even though he is over 18, battery on a child still constitutes unfit parenting) and I'm worried we've waited too long and lost our case.
Now I am concerned that we won't be able to enroll her in school or other activities without custody, or that, even worse, she gets returned to her mother and beaten for her insolence.

This isn't the first time Child Services has been considered, either. The girl's aunt told her she would take custody of her, but the woman never saw it through. We considered doing it as well, but we were worried that without any hard evidence, nothing would come of it except a lot of pain and stress on everyone, on top of her mother's anger.

If I tell the police though, do you think they would help or worsen things? I'm not sure.

To be honest, I'm terrified of losing, of letting her down. She's become so convinced that her mother rules her world and that she will never, ever escape. I feel like if we don't get her out soon, she might become so warped emotionally and mentally that she'll start hurting herself. I really feel like either we save her, or no one does.
The question is what can you do: The answer is call CPS. - That is it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">