• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered statutory rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellarose

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello, here is my short story, a very good friend of mine is a rotten mother. Her daughter is 14 years old and won't turn 15 until September. She is allowed to date a boy who just turned 17 years old a few months ago. I am totally upset about this because this little girl is like my own child in so many ways. (If she were my child she wouldn't be allowed out of the house!) She is allowed by her mother to take the public bus to see her boyfriend 15 miles away ALONE...she has made out with him, and I am sure so much more, but I will never know unless she gets pregnant or worst. My question is: In michigan is it against the law for them to date? Can he be held responsible if he "makes out with her" considering their age differences? Also, what is the law concerning her being left home alone all the time while her mother works, day or night? I thought that the age cut off is 13 yrs old from going to daycare. I don't have kids of my own and I am really concerned, I know that something really bad is going to happen and I want to help if I can. Talking to the mother is like talking to the wall, she just doesn't care. Her son who is now 18 yrs old just graduated, but he left home at 14 yrs old to live with a friend because he didn't like his mom, she tried later on to get parental rights back but they were denied, the son is now living near her and is going to be married in a few months, so this is a pattern for the mother. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :eek:

Happy Trails

bellarose said:

Hello, here is my short story, a very good friend of mine is a rotten mother. Her daughter is 14 years old and won't turn 15 until September. She is allowed to date a boy who just turned 17 years old a few months ago. I am totally upset about this because this little girl is like my own child in so many ways. (If she were my child she wouldn't be allowed out of the house!) She is allowed by her mother to take the public bus to see her boyfriend 15 miles away ALONE...she has made out with him, and I am sure so much more, but I will never know unless she gets pregnant or worst. My question is: In michigan is it against the law for them to date? Can he be held responsible if he "makes out with her" considering their age differences? Also, what is the law concerning her being left home alone all the time while her mother works, day or night? I thought that the age cut off is 13 yrs old from going to daycare. I don't have kids of my own and I am really concerned, I know that something really bad is going to happen and I want to help if I can. Talking to the mother is like talking to the wall, she just doesn't care. Her son who is now 18 yrs old just graduated, but he left home at 14 yrs old to live with a friend because he didn't like his mom, she tried later on to get parental rights back but they were denied, the son is now living near her and is going to be married in a few months, so this is a pattern for the mother. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :eek:
Since you have no proof, what is it you think you can do about it?

It is not illegal for them to date.

If the mother permits the child to see him, nothing you can do about it.

bellarose

Happy Trails said:
Since you have no proof, what is it you think you can do about it?

It is not illegal for them to date.

If the mother permits the child to see him, nothing you can do about it.

I have proof! I still believe in Michigan that regardless of the mother's yes or no its illegal and I want to find out for sure before I proceed to further actions.:mad:

W

wandasmommy

mind your own business

bellarose said:

you can help by butting out and minding your own business. you have NO right to tell this woman how to raise HER daughter. let mom deal with the consequences if something were to happen to HER child. i wouldnt want some nosy meddling busybody telling me how to raise my kid, id tell her where to go

Last edited:
W

wandasmommy

why is this your business?

bellarose said:
I have proof! I still believe in Michigan that regardless of the mother's yes or no its illegal and I want to find out for sure before I proceed to further actions.:mad:
but you forget one thing, you are not the parent of either of these kids. you can do NOTHING, ZERO ZILCH NADA

CdwJava

bellarose said:
Fondling, groping, or sex is likely illegal, but just dating - and even kissing - is not.

If you feel there is some kind of neglect or other issue, contact your local CPS or law ennforcement agency.

- Carl

bellarose

wandasmommy said:
you can help by butting out and minding your own business. you have NO right to tell this woman how to raise HER daughter. let mom deal with the consequences if something were to happen to HER child. i wouldnt want some nosy meddling busybody telling me how to raise my kid, id tell her where to go

Well I DO NOT agree with you, IF she were a real MOTHER then her kids wouldn't be so frickin messed up to begin with. Do you know how kids get raped, killed? Because parents like her don't give a crap and its people like me WHO do care! If you have a child who is legally still a minor and was only 14 messing around with an older boy, wouldn't you want her to be safe and out of harms way? IT sounds to me that you are just another mother who doesn't gives a **** anyways with that kind of attitude...SO if your child ends up dead, then are you going to be crying wolf? I realize I can't save all the children in the world, but if I can save one that I have been around since birth, then I will, meddling or busy body or whatever...It will be worth all the hassle in the end to save her from harm! Besides you know nothing of this worthless mother....but I guess it takes one with an attitude such as yours to know one?

bellarose

wandasmommy said:
but you forget one thing, you are not the parent of either of these kids. you can do NOTHING, ZERO ZILCH NADA

You are right, I am not their mother, but I love them and care about them and want the best for them, and you know what? I get tired of hearing about all the under age sex and babies and mothers/fathers sit back and complain but do NOTHING!

CdwJava

Unfortunately for you, you have no legal standing. And nothing you have described here constitutes criminal behavior on either of the juveniles' parts, and likely does not constitute a crime against mom either.

When I was 14 I used to take the train (by myself) 40 miles from my house once a month to visit a friend of mine.

I am not supportive of the relationship by any means, but, that lack of support does not mean that it is against the law. Many things that we all disagree with are perfectly legal. Unless you can prove sexual activity, there is no crime here.

- Carl

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And my kids (14 and 12) stay home while I work and they're not in school. Sometimes even when I work late. And ya know.... they're learning to be responsible people. I come home to find the house tidied up, laundry done, and dinner in progress.

tigger22472

stealth2 said:
And my kids (14 and 12) stay home while I work and they're not in school. Sometimes even when I work late. And ya know.... they're learning to be responsible people. I come home to find the house tidied up, laundry done, and dinner in progress.
Holy Crap!!! Let them move in with me! I'd love to see the house tidy, laundry done and dinner started!!!

CdwJava

I was gonna say the same thing!

They MUST be girls!

I have three boys (the oldest is 12) and I have to threaten to drop kick them to get them to pick up their clothes!!

Clean up the house? Hah!

Start dinner? Hah! (Unless it's pop tarts ...)

Laundry? Hah!! Double Hah! They MIGHT fold their clothes under penalty of death, and they might even put them away under threat of eternal brimstone and hellfire ... but DO the laundry!? Riiiiiight ...

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">