• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginalowry

What is the name of state (oyour nly U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a minor child (17) who's mother quit her job for her, took her out of school, and attempted to take her to the Utah border to be picked up there and brought to a disiplinary/boot camp kind of school. The child had a physical fight with her mother at the border and escaped then hitchhiked with a truck driver to the closest town and called a friend to pick her up there and bring her to my house. This is a straight A student with a job and a college enrollment for the fall. Her mother told her she had two choices, to return to her and be taken to this school until she was 18 or live on her own without their financial or emotional help. She has called her mother to request her birth certificate, passport, and personal belongings at which time her mother told her they were no longer hers and the locks had been changed at the home, we then found that her mother had also emptied her bank account. I do not know how to proceed with this. Please let me know if anyone knows the laws in colorado regarding this kind of situation. :confused:

ginalowry

I am her boyfriends mother and she has not had contact with her real father since she was two. She did ask her mother in a phone conversation yesturday for her fathers contact information since he still has joint custody but she was denied that information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am her boyfriends mother and she has not had contact with her real father since she was two. She did ask her mother in a phone conversation yesturday for her fathers contact information since he still has joint custody but she was denied that information.
So what did the police and/or child protective services say when you called to report the situation?

ginalowry

This just happened on Saturday, we called the police today just to ask what to do without giving out names, I do not want her to be forced to go home and taken to Utah or to be taken to foster care. The police said she needed to go to social services and talk to them and that her mother had not made any kind of report stating she was missing or had run away. This is a very small town and they would have been looking for her if a report had been made.

Antigone*

What is the name of state (oyour nly U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a minor child (17) who's mother quit her job for her, took her out of school, and attempted to take her to the Utah border to be picked up there and brought to a disiplinary/boot camp kind of school. The child had a physical fight with her mother at the border and escaped then hitchhiked with a truck driver to the closest town and called a friend to pick her up there and bring her to my house. This is a straight A student with a job and a college enrollment for the fall. Her mother told her she had two choices, to return to her and be taken to this school until she was 18 or live on her own without their financial or emotional help. She has called her mother to request her birth certificate, passport, and personal belongings at which time her mother told her they were no longer hers and the locks had been changed at the home, we then found that her mother had also emptied her bank account. I do not know how to proceed with this. Please let me know if anyone knows the laws in colorado regarding this kind of situation. :confused:
If you don't know who dad is or how to contact him, or if he shuns you, call the Colorado equivalent of child Protective Services.

The passport, birth certificate, etc all belong to mom and when child is old enough she can get her own copies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">