• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the exact law on dating a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoopsidaisy

Virginia is the state I'm asking about. Here's the situation:

Guy is 19, girl is 16. Girl's parents are okay with dating and situation in general. No sex until marriage anyway. Is this illegal or is it only illegal to have sex?

Please give references if you have them.What is the name of your state?

MyHouse

New Book

I'm glad you wrote. Since this comes up at least several times per day, I have decided to write a book on the subject.

HOW TO DATE A MINOR

The book is only one page long, and I will put the contents of the book here, for free!:D

1. It is not a good idea to date a minor.
2. Even if you say you are not going to have sex, you may end up doing it anyway.
3. Minors are immature and that is why they are not legal adults. Once you have had sex with them, they can report it and you are in big trouble.
4. Parents cannot give consent for their minor child to have sex with an adult.
5. It does not matter if the minor "seduced" you, or if you thought he/she seduced you.
6. For your own safety, and to avoid corrupting a CHILD, please seek out relationships with other adults.

In summary, do not date a minor. In other words, date adults. You can also wait for the minor child to reach legal age.

If this is too confusing, PM me and I will try to be more clear.

Thank you for your time.

whoopsidaisy

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but we are in love. We are meant for each other and we know that. We are not going to have sex; it is against our convictions and beliefs. If you don't mind, I simply need to know what is legal and what isn't.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but we are in love. We are meant for each other and we know that. We are not going to have sex; it is against our convictions and beliefs. If you don't mind, I simply need to know what is legal and what isn't.
You're in LOVE - oh, that makes things better :rolleyes:

Keep your adult hands off of children...find someone your own age.
How about this - wait 2 years until she is an ADULT. *IF* she still feels the same, get together then...after all, LUST is hurried, LOVE is eternal ;)

quincy

Whoopsidaisy - It is not illegal for a 19 year old to date a 16 year old, but a person 18 years or older that has sex with someone 15, 16, or 17 faces a misdemeanor charge in Virginia, 1 year in jail and a $2500 fine, so it is important that you don't let your hormones run away with you until your girlfriend is 18. I know several people who met each other in middle school or high school and managed to resist the temptation to have sex (or at least they weren't caught :) ), and wound up getting married at 19 and 20 - some of them are even still happily married. Age differences can make relationships more difficult, however a 3 year difference as you get older is really not all that significant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Age differences can make relationships more difficult, however a 3 year difference as you get older is really not all that significant.
I agree with this - so why not wait a bit until the child IS older? :rolleyes:

quincy

Because they are in love NOW, Zigner :)
And dating IS just dating (if they are smart).

I KNOW 16 is young...but, then again, so is 19 - and in high school, 3 years is just the difference between being a freshman and being a junior or being a sophmore and being a senior.

Plus, my neighbors met when he was 20 and she was 16 and they have been married 70 years! Sometimes love just happens that way.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
whoopsidaisy, the laws are not suspended if you are in love.

Until both of you are over 18, keep it zipped.

Whoopsi - Your question about the law has been answered. While it is not illegal to date your sixteen year old girlfriend, please keep in mind that if you end up being convicted of having sex with her, even though the age difference is not big in relative terms, you will be branded as a sex offender for the rest of your life.

Virginia has a registry for sex offenders, and if convicted, your name and other information about you will be in there FOREVER.

Sex offenders often end up jobless and homeless because people don't want to risk having them around their families, homes, schools, etc... Convicted murderers have a better chance fairing in society than sex offenders.

I understand that you are in love. You are also a 19 year old male. Your hormones are likely raging higher than they will at any other time in your life. Just keep in mind that you will be playing with fire where the law is concerned if you do end up having sex with your girlfriend before she turns 18. Good luck.

loveofthemusic

now idk the laws of Virgina see as i am in Idaho but this is what i know and some advice.

i am 17 dating an 19 year old we started dating when i was 16 and he was 18. anyways i understand that you want to be with her because we have been in this same problem. in Idaho age of consent is 16 and in that you have to have permission by both sides of parents.

so advice if you truly want to be with her and make it work don't have sex(you already stated you don't want to) but things happen and situations heat up, just be sure you are careful of the matter. i know you say you will be together for awhile but things happen and if you do end up having sex and then breaking up she could pull the whole "i didn't want to thing" that happend to a friend of mine. but honestly i support your decision because it can work and has worked for my boyfriend and i so far.

good luck to you both and stay safe.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
BTW kids, sexual contact doesn't usually simply mean intercourse. Simply copping a feel or having a kiss that's more than a simple peck on the cheek can land you in hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">