• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Happens Now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasp66

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

I am 15 years old and last night a friend and I were drinking. My sister got the alcohol from a friend of a friend. My mom caught us and called the cops. On the breathalyzer I was a .06 and my friend was a .08. What will happen to us? What is court going to be like? And what should I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am 15 years old and last night a friend and I were drinking. My sister got the alcohol from a friend of a friend. My mom caught us and called the cops. On the breathalyzer I was a .06 and my friend was a .08. What will happen to us? What is court going to be like? And what should I do?
First of all CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR MOM! I applaud her for calling the police and having you charged.
Second of all, Minnesota has teen courts:
A new kind of justice is taking place in many Minnesota communities. Youth who commit minor offenses such as petty theft, possession of alcohol, smoking or disorderly conduct, or who violate school rules are receiving consequences for their behavior not from the juvenile court system or a school disciplinary board but from a "jury" of their peers in teen court. Law enforcement and probation officers, teachers and others may refer youth to these voluntary programs operated in locations such as schools, nonprofit organizations, probation agencies and police departments. To participate, the youth must admit to having committed the offense. In most situations, successful completion of the program means that the youth will not have a juvenile record or, in the case of a school referral, will not be suspended or expelled. Aside from offenders, other youth may volunteer to fill such roles as juror or attorney. The function of the jury is to listen to the circumstances surrounding the offense and determine what consequence the youthful offender should receive as a result. Consequences include community service, writing essays related to the infraction, completing a counseling, treatment or educational program, apologizing to the victim, or participating as a juror in subsequent teen court cases.

You might see if this is available in your community and if you are willing to admit to the fact that you broke the law then go through whatever they tell you to do.Underage consumption is normally up to 90 days in jail and a fine ranging between $100 to $700.

Expect to end up getting a job because if your mom called the police then I do not see her bailing your butt out of this predicament but rather I expect that she would want you to pay your own darn fines.

Oh and realize that mom may be even harsher by not allowing you to get a driver's license while you live with her and what not. Again good for your mom for doing this!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and Seniorjudge has a list of rules for court but basically dress presentably (no one in court wants to see your cleavage, belly button, butt crack, underwear or groin nor do they want to see message t-shirts or other in-style clothing -- rather a nice skirt and blouse if you are female or dress pants and a dress shirt with tie if you are a guy with dress shoes), be polite (address the judge as "Your honor"), be on time, and take responsibility for your actions (do not make excuses such as "everyone does it" or "its no big deal"). Do not make excuses or try to get a lesser punishment by claiming a religious conversion.
Hopefully SJ will post his full list -- this is just what I remember from it and my apologies to him for not remembering it all.

Just Blue

First of all CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR MOM! I applaud her for calling the police and having you charged.
A new kind of justice is taking place in many Minnesota communities. Youth who commit minor offenses such as petty theft, possession of alcohol, smoking or disorderly conduct, or who violate school rules are receiving consequences for their behavior not from the juvenile court system or a school disciplinary board but from a "jury" of their peers in teen court. Law enforcement and probation officers, teachers and others may refer youth to these voluntary programs operated in locations such as schools, nonprofit organizations, probation agencies and police departments. To participate, the youth must admit to having committed the offense. In most situations, successful completion of the program means that the youth will not have a juvenile record or, in the case of a school referral, will not be suspended or expelled. Aside from offenders, other youth may volunteer to fill such roles as juror or attorney. The function of the jury is to listen to the circumstances surrounding the offense and determine what consequence the youthful offender should receive as a result. Consequences include community service, writing essays related to the infraction, completing a counseling, treatment or educational program, apologizing to the victim, or participating as a juror in subsequent teen court cases.

You might see if this is available in your community and if you are willing to admit to the fact that you broke the law then go through whatever they tell you to do.Underage consumption is normally up to 90 days in jail and a fine ranging between $100 to $700.

Expect to end up getting a job because if your mom called the police then I do not see her bailing your butt out of this predicament but rather I expect that she would want you to pay your own darn fines.

Oh and realize that mom may be even harsher by not allowing you to get a driver's license while you live with her and what not. Again good for your mom for doing this!

Three Cheers For Mom!!...Hip Hip Hooray.....Hip Hip Hooray...Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

AlanShore

Well I guess some of us forgot what life was like back when we were 15? I really disagree with the MOM on this one. It’s not like they were completely wasted. Though I do not know the history of the situation. But here I disagree with Ohiogal and Bay, a mom that would call the police on their 15 year old son or daughter for drinking is just harsh and cold. Whatever happen to a parents ability to punish. My parents would of grounded me or taken my car away for month (they probably wouldn’t of even done that), not call the cops

I would not get to worried the judge will give you a scare and a light slap on the wrist. Take teen court if you can, but do not be to scared or panicked. Your not going to jail or paying a $500 fine.

-Alan Shore.

reaperx42zero

First off.. your mom needs some parenting skills...
Secondly.. If this is your first offense you're not getting 90 days in jail but you will get a hole lot of community service.
Get your working boots ready! :rolleyes:

Rasp66

It actually wasn't my mom it was my friends mom. My whole family hates her now for getting us into this. I don't know if I can ever forgive her because this all could've been avoided. So I will have to do community service? What will be put on my permanent record?

Just Blue

It actually wasn't my mom it was my friends mom. My whole family hates her now for getting us into this. I don't know if I can ever forgive her because this all could've been avoided.
So which is it?:confused:

Please don't lie...:(

Silverplum

It actually wasn't my mom it was my friends mom. My whole family hates her now for getting us into this. I don't know if I can ever forgive her because this all could've been avoided. So I will have to do community service? What will be put on my permanent record?
Let's talk about how this all could've been avoided. What else could have happened, or not happened, to avoid the trouble you're in right now?

Rasp66

I swear it was my friends mom. I get what you mean silverplum. I just meant how we could've avoided getting the cops involved.

Bretagne

There isn't any "teen court" around here that you can take advantage of. They all closed down years ago.

Is this your first offense? If so you'll probably get juvenile diversion.

That means that you can keep your record clean if you successfully complete the terms of your diversion (community service, fine, sobriety).

You can lose your drivers license at the discretion of the judge if you don't get diversion. So, as long as no driving was involved make sure you really emphasize the need to keep your license.

Your biggest concern is keeping your license. If found guilty, you'll have a juvenile petty offense on your record. No biggie.

Should probably get an attorney--cost you $1000 or so. An attorney will help protect your record and get you the best possible resolution.

You won't be taken from the home unless something much more serious is going on.

I'm not going to "agree" with Alan, or Bay, or anyone else completely, but my opinion , for what it's worth, is:

1. Took her mom a lot of guts to call the cops and teach you kids a valuable lesson.
2. Her mom is also lazy for relying on civil servants to do her job. Letting the State handle this minor situation (no pun intended) is unnecessary, and just lets her mom avoid doing the dirty work of punishment and teaching you kids a life lesson.

Rasp66

Another really important question. The cops know that my sister gave us the alcohol but that she DIDNT by it. She only gave it to us. One of her friends bought it for us. She only handed us the alcohol. She is 19. What is going to happen to her?

Just Blue

Another really important question. The cops know that my sister gave us the alcohol but that she DIDNT by it. She only gave it to us. One of her friends bought it for us. She only handed us the alcohol. She is 19. What is going to happen to her?
She could be charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">