• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to you if you become a ward of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maccgodjay

My dad has told me that he wantse to become a ward of state what happens if he does go through with what he said do I still live in the a same area who do I live with since I'm 16 can I do something for it not to happen

quincy

My dad has told me that he wantse to become a ward of state what happens if he does go through with what he said do I still live in the a same area who do I live with since I'm 16 can I do something for it not to happen
When someone is a ward, this means that the person is under a guardian's charge or protection. It is usually a young person like yourself (a minor) who is placed under the care and supervision of a guardian or court. A guardian is often necessary when the parent or parents of a minor can no longer provide the necessary care for the child.

Could you please provide the name of your state, Maccgodjay? Laws vary from state to state. Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why does your Dad (who has to be at least in his 30s...) think the state will be interested in taking guardianship of him?

quincy

I think that " that he wantse " was supposed to be "that he wants me".
I agree that Maccgodjay probably meant "wants me" when he wrote "wantse" ... although I read the post the same way as stealth2 did at first.

LdiJ

I agree that Maccgodjay probably meant "wants me" when he wrote "wantse" ... although I read the post the same way as stealth2 did at first.
So did I. It took me a couple of minutes to figure it out.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I've known people who have done this.

In ALL cases that I'm acquainted with, the parent(s) have sought to make the child a ward of the state because the child was out of control, to the point where the parent(s) are overwhelmed and felt they had good reason to fear for their personal safety.

So, my question to OP is: why does your father feel so overwhelmed? Is it something reasonable - are you using drugs or acting out violently? Is his health deteriorating and there no relatives or friends that can step in? Or is Dad just being unreasonable because you're a different child from what he expected?

There are different outcomes depending on the whys. People are more sympathetic to someone losing a parent or someone misunderstood by a bigoted parent than, say, the kids who beat others to a pulp.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">