• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What responsibilities do I have for an 18 yr old?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSAR113

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband's oldest daughter will be 18 in 3 months and is planning to move out however she still has another year of high school after this year. What are we responsible for legally if she leaves when she is 18? Financial, if she commits a crime, etc? I need to know what our rights are as well as hers.

Frustrated in NY

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband's oldest daughter will be 18 in 3 months and is planning to move out however she still has another year of high school after this year. What are we responsible for legally if she leaves when she is 18? Financial, if she commits a crime, etc? I need to know what our rights are as well as hers.

Frustrated in NY
YOU are not responsible for anything she does.
As for her father, it depends upon his court order and NY law.

MSAR113

not sure what you mean

I am not sure what you mean by my husband's court order. He has full legal and parental custody of his kids.

Thank you for your reply.

Silverplum

I am not sure what you mean by my husband's court order. He has full legal and parental custody of his kids.

Thank you for your reply.
What I meant was, does he have a court order to pay CS till the NY age of 21? If he doesn't, that's a moot point.

http://www.jlc.org/index.php/factsheets/emancipationus#n

New York
There is no emancipation status in this state

http://www.empirestatecoalition.org/emanc.html

Q. 1.2 Who can be considered an Emancipated Minor?
A. Although there is no court proceeding in New York to have a young person declared an Emancipated Minor, New York Law recognizes the status of emancipation and the rights of emancipated minors. To determine whether a young person is emancipated, the following factors are critical:
• The youth must be living apart from his/her parents;
• The youth must be self supporting (may be receiving public benefits or child support if required by court order);
• The youth is not in need/receipt of foster care;
• The youth is living beyond the custody and control of the parent;
• The youth is over the age of 16.

BL

If the 18 yr. old moves out voluntarily , and not with the other Parent , the 18 - 21 yr. old would have to petition the Court for support .

Depending on the circumstances He/She may be granted support .

Read the links ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">