• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do I have, as a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tamara06

My church group frequently visits orphanages, does community service and hangs out with elderly. Another thing we do is go downtown and just hangout there. My dad claims that until I turn 18, I have no right of going anywhere without having him sign a permission form. Is there a law in California claiming that a minor(under 18) needs a permission form signed by a parent to have the right to go anywhere with friends or a church group?

Proserpina

My church group frequently visits orphanages, does community service and hangs out with elderly. Another thing we do is go downtown and just hangout there. My dad claims that until I turn 18, I have no right of going anywhere without having him sign a permission form. Is there a law in California claiming that a minor(under 18) needs a permission form signed by a parent to have the right to go anywhere with friends or a church group?

The law says that your parents have absolute control over where you do and don't go.

They don't even need a form. They can simply say, "Nope - you're not going". And that's basically that.

CdwJava

Your dad can tell you not to go, and he can ask the church group not to take you. While there is no law that prevents you from accompanying them downtown without his written permission, they might find themselves liable if they transport you down there, something happens to you, and he has not provided such permission.

So, if dad doesn't want you to go, you politely tell the church that this is one trip that you cannot go on.

Tamara06

Thank-you so much! So if I correctly understand you, I have full right to go with my friends. There is no law requiring a written permission form. Let's say, my parents gave me verbal permission to go hang out with my friends. However, if for example, we get into an accident, then my parents may be charged with the fact that they let a minor go, or will the fact that they verbally let me go be enough?

CdwJava

Unless restricted by law (trespassing, curfew, etc.) or your parents deny you permission, you can go where you please. There is no law that says before you can go to the park with friends that a permission slip must be signed. Nor is there a law that says that before you go with the church youth group to an orphanage or to feed the homeless, you must receive written permission.

Personally, if my teenagers (and I have three of them in my home) wanted to go with a church youth group to help others, I'd be ecstatic and proud, and I would burn vacation days to be at their side if they wanted me to!

But, your parents DO have the ultimate say as to where you go, when you go, and who you go with. If they say you cannot go, then you cannot go.

Proserpina

Thank-you so much! So if I correctly understand you, I have full right to go with my friends.

With your parents permission? Yes.

Without? No.

There is no law requiring a written permission form. Let's say, my parents gave me verbal permission to go hang out with my friends. However, if for example, we get into an accident, then my parents may be charged with the fact that they let a minor go, or will the fact that they verbally let me go be enough?

Are we doing homework?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you do not understand correctly.

While it is true that the law does not require a permission form, the law does NOT say that you have the right to do whatever you want even if your parents say no.

As long as you are even one minute under 18, the law puts you in the full care, custody and control of your parents. If they say no, then it is no. It is not, yes as long as nothing happens to you. It is no.

When you are over 18 and supporting yourself, then you can do what you like. As long as you are under 18 or being supported by your parents, then it's their house, their rules.

ecmst12

If you cause an accident, YOU will get the ticket, not your parents. Regardless of whether they gave you permission to drive, the responsibility to control the car rests with the driver. If you get arrested for doing something stupid with your friends, YOU will have to deal with the consequences.

Silverplum

I'd like to ask you a question or two, now that your legal question has been answered.

Who in your church group, or in your church at all, is telling you that it is "right" to treat your father's directions to you as mere "claims?"

Where in your church's teachings does it tell you that it is "right" to disobey your parent/s?

If you need a hint, I'm happy to provide several:

http://bible.cc/ephesians/6-1.htm
http://bible.cc/colossians/3-20.htm
http://bible.cc/deuteronomy/5-16.htm

Your attitude requires an adjustment. I'm hoping the adjustment occurs here and now. :)

Alex1176

I'd like to ask you a question or two, now that your legal question has been answered.

Who in your church group, or in your church at all, is telling you that it is "right" to treat your father's directions to you as mere "claims?"

Where in your church's teachings does it tell you that it is "right" to disobey your parent/s?

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
Deuteronomy 5:16 "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Your attitude requires an adjustment. I'm hoping the adjustment occurs here and now. :)
Very good point.
This is one of the 10 Commandments.
כַּבֵּד אֶת-אָבִיךָ, וְאֶת אִמֶּךָ לְמַעַן, יַאֲרִכוּן יָמֶיךָ, עַל הָאֲדָמָה, אֲשֶׁר-יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ נֹתֵן לָך
Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Silverplum

Very good point.
This is one of the 10 Commandments.
כַּבֵּד אֶת-אָבִיךָ, וְאֶת אִמֶּךָ לְמַעַן, יַאֲרִכוּן יָמֶיךָ, עַל הָאֲדָמָה, אֲשֶׁר-יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ נֹתֵן לָך
Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
I'd say thank you, but it's not *my* point that I made. ;) Your post is appreciated, all of it.

:):):)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, let's be clear here. Even if the parents sign a permission slip, they can still forbid the child from going.

Tamara06

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
Deuteronomy 5:16 "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

I love my parents and I obey them. I wouldn't even think about disobeying them or going against their rules. I fully respect them. I was just wondering if there IS a law, or if my daddy was just not on a right path there. Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">