• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen to my 13yr old son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinay

Please help. My son that is 13 years old has depression try to kill him self and is on 3 types of meds prozac,risperdal,diphenhydram.A couple of days ago he walked in on my daughter that is 11yr being rape by a10year old boy and did nothing just stood there and watch .Didnt' yell for help or pull the kid off he did nothing .Can he go to jail for this ? The doctor said he must of been in shock and it is the meds so they took him off of 2 meds prozac,diphenhydram and now I dont know what to do . My son just needs help not to be lock up.The police has not gave me any information and wants my son to come in for questioning.Please help thanks .We are in puerto rico

Last edited:

Proserpina

Please help. My son that is 13 years old has depression try to kill him self and is on 3 types of meds prozac,risperdal,diphenhydram.A couple of days ago he walked in on my daughter that is 11yr being rape by a10year old boy and did nothing just stood there and watch .Didnt' yell for help or pull the kid off he did nothing .Can he go to jail for this ? The doctor said he must of been in shock and it is the meds so they took him off of 2 meds prozac,diphenhydram and now I dont know what to do . My son just needs help not to be lock up.The police has not gave me any information and wants my son to come in for questioning.Please help thanks .We are in puerto rico

You need an attorney and a really good therapist - not necessarily in that order.

justalayman

the drugs listed could surely put him in enough of a stupor that he may not react appropriately to the situation seen. Doesn't mean he was drugged up enough to reach that point but it is possible. He needs to NOT speak to the police about this without a lawyer though.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If I were OP, I would also be concerned about my own culpability since these children were apparently not being adequately supervised...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would also wonder if there was force involved. Because if not, then the 10 year old was just as much raped as the 11 year old. Which means the 11 year old also has issues. And mom's issues just doubled.

CdwJava

Why would your son be locked up for an act he witnessed??? Sounds like he may be considered a suspect, not a witness!

Also, I find it VERY difficult to buy a story that says a TEN year old raped an ELEVEN year old. Very difficult. The last time I heard such a claim (oh, uh, that was two months ago) we received medical testimony that our particular suspect was physically incapable of achieving the climax that was alleged of him. Achieving sufficient "elevation" necessary to require the act was another issue. Then, of course, there is the question of how the child was able to overpower another one to force such an act.

Something is wrong here.

NellieBly

Why would your son be locked up for an act he witnessed??? Sounds like he may be considered a suspect, not a witness!

Also, I find it VERY difficult to buy a story that says a TEN year old raped an ELEVEN year old. Very difficult. The last time I heard such a claim (oh, uh, that was two months ago) we received medical testimony that our particular suspect was physically incapable of achieving the climax that was alleged of him. Achieving sufficient "elevation" necessary to require the act was another issue. Then, of course, there is the question of how the child was able to overpower another one to force such an act.

Something is wrong here.
I used to volunteer at a psych facility for juveniles. They had a 10 year old sex offender in their program. He couldn't be with kids his own age, so they put him in with the older kids.

As I recall, we were having a tornado alarm and had to all go into a large restroom. The 10 year old got busted for looking up the social worker's skirt.

CdwJava

I used to volunteer at a psych facility for juveniles. They had a 10 year old sex offender in their program. He couldn't be with kids his own age, so they put him in with the older kids.

As I recall, we were having a tornado alarm and had to all go into a large restroom. The 10 year old got busted for looking up the social worker's skirt.
Voyeurism, sure. Sexual molestation, possible. Sexual arousal and climax, not nearly so common. Forcible rape - and a of a peer, no less, almost unheard of.

Though anything is possible.

Still wondering how the 13 year old is in trouble.

Ladyback1

Voyeurism, sure. Sexual molestation, possible. Sexual arousal and climax, not nearly so common. Forcible rape - and a of a peer, no less, almost unheard of.

Though anything is possible.

Still wondering how the 13 year old is in trouble.
I actually worked in a juvenile sexual offender psych program many, many years ago--the sexual assault has less to do w/ "getting off" as it did with some serious psych issues in juveniles. Same as with most violent rapes amongst adults.

But, I agree there is some significant issues going on w/ OP's family. I'm not liking the combo of meds he was on first off, and really hope that all parties are getting some really good therapy.

CdwJava

I actually worked in a juvenile sexual offender psych program many, many years ago--the sexual assault has less to do w/ "getting off" as it did with some serious psych issues in juveniles. Same as with most violent rapes amongst adults.
Yes, but "rape" requires penetration. The assault in an attempt is - in many states (and maybe the OP's location of Puerto Rico) - a separate offense. It's very unlikely that there was sufficient arousal and force that could have been applied by the offender to force a sexual assault.

The most recent similar case I investigated involved allegations of "rape" which were proven false. The "victims" lied because of coaching by mom, and as it turns out the kids were sitting around in a girls' room doing a round of "if you show me yours, I'll show you mine."

An allegation of "rape" has very specific elements that have to be met. Had there been some allegation of fondling, or a lewd act, that I can see. But, when we are talking about "rape" involving children at this age, I am skeptical.

But, I agree there is some significant issues going on w/ OP's family. I'm not liking the combo of meds he was on first off, and really hope that all parties are getting some really good therapy.
Ditto.

Though, the mystery to me is why the 13-year-old is being charged. If all he did was witness it, then why a criminal charge? I suspect there is more to the tale.

Ladyback1

Yes, but "rape" requires penetration. The assault in an attempt is - in many states (and maybe the OP's location of Puerto Rico) - a separate offense. It's very unlikely that there was sufficient arousal and force that could have been applied by the offender to force a sexual assault.

The most recent similar case I investigated involved allegations of "rape" which were proven false. The "victims" lied because of coaching by mom, and as it turns out the kids were sitting around in a girls' room doing a round of "if you show me yours, I'll show you mine."

An allegation of "rape" has very specific elements that have to be met. Had there been some allegation of fondling, or a lewd act, that I can see. But, when we are talking about "rape" involving children at this age, I am skeptical.

Ditto.

Though, the mystery to me is why the 13-year-old is being charged. If all he did was witness it, then why a criminal charge? I suspect there is more to the tale.
Doesn't have to be penetration by *that* body part.:(

But, I agree, something is amiss in this tale--and I feel in the OP's family as a whole. I just hope that the kids are safe NOW.

xylene

Something is wrong here.
I forgot that rape was till the point of ejaculation. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

I forgot that rape was till the point of ejaculation. :rolleyes:
It's not ... that was a particular case here. However, in many states rape requires penal penetration which requires an erection.

As defined in the Puerto Rico statutes it appears that there is no crime of "rape" as all forms of sexual assault are covered under the single category of "sexual assault" since 2004.

The point is that the term, "rape" has a specific LEGAL Definition within a jurisdiction and its use is often legally inaccurate. For instance, in my state consensual sexual relations between an adult and a minor is not "statutory rape" it is generally titled "unlawful sexual intercourse" because here, "rape" means something else entirely.

I am often suspicious when the term is used because it most often implies a forced sexual assault. When someone is alleging that a 10 year old boy forcibly sexually assaulted an 11 year old girl, I am going to be suspicious because statistics and experience tells me this is highly unlikely. And since we are getting that information from a third party whose son is charged with a related offense even though he allegedly only witnessed it, it only confirms my suspicion that there is information missing. My guess is that the 13 year old is being charged as an accomplice in some way, and I further suspect that "rape" may not have occurred, though perhaps some form of sexual assault did. Maybe, it was a mutual "look what I have in my pants" situation where the parents found out and called the cops. We don't know.

There are unanswered questions here, and we will never KNOW the answer because the OP is not apparently privy to the answers. What is notoriously missing is under what theory the OP's son is being charged if all he did was see the offense.

hellorandom2856

I highly doubt anything will happen to your son I think they just want to question him for witness testimony for prosecution of the 10 year old

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">