• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When a minor invokes his parent as counsel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cynicalsparkles

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that a minor needed a parent present or at least parental consent when being questioned. Apparently, it's not?

But, a minor can invoke his parent as his counsel. Or, at least that's how I'm interpreting what I've read.

So my question is how does a minor do this? Is asking to speak to his mother sufficient? Would he need to say, "I'm invoking my mother as counsel." How is this right invoked?

The Occultist

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that a minor needed a parent present or at least parental consent when being questioned. Apparently, it's not?

But, a minor can invoke his parent as his counsel. Or, at least that's how I'm interpreting what I've read.

So my question is how does a minor do this? Is asking to speak to his mother sufficient? Would he need to say, "I'm invoking my mother as counsel." How is this right invoked?
If you've already been questioned, it's too late.

Do you have a specific situation you'd like to ask about?

cynicalsparkles

If you've already been questioned, it's too late.

Do you have a specific situation you'd like to ask about?
It's not me, I'm a 24 year old who immigrated to Canada. It's my 13 year old brother. I would love to ask about the situation, but it's a fairly unique situation and I don't want to just throw that out on the internet yet.

Thanks for the answer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">