• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why can't I get a copy of police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missouri

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have posted 2 posts about my 16 year old son being assaulted in the bathroom by a deputy while two others stood by. After this incident he was charged with 3 felonies and 2 mistmeanors (spelling?) . Someone told me to get a copy of the police report. I went to the sheriff today and asked for a copy of my son's police report. He said he couldn't give it to me. He said it was part of the investigation. I said "But he's already been charged and trial has been set for this month. The investigation is over." I asked if it was department policy not to give me a copy. He said it was the law. He said I had to have a lawyer motion the court for me to get a copy. Is he telling me the truth? Does the Freedom of Information Act let me have a copy of my juvenile son's police report? How do I get a copy? :confused:

Happy Trails

missouri said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have posted 2 posts about my 16 year old son being assaulted in the bathroom by a deputy while two others stood by. After this incident he was charged with 3 felonies and 2 mistmeanors (spelling?) . Someone told me to get a copy of the police report. I went to the sheriff today and asked for a copy of my son's police report. He said he couldn't give it to me. He said it was part of the investigation. I said "But he's already been charged and trial has been set for this month. The investigation is over." I asked if it was department policy not to give me a copy. He said it was the law. He said I had to have a lawyer motion the court for me to get a copy. Is he telling me the truth? Does the Freedom of Information Act let me have a copy of my juvenile son's police report? How do I get a copy? :confused:
So where is your son's attorney?

You can't get a copy of the investigation report, because there may be information in it you are not privy to.

Last edited:

missouri

other county said same

state: Missouri
Good question. There is a private attorney who showed interest in this case knowing I don't have much money and I am thankful. But he wants to see a copy of the police report. I have left several messages over the last week, plus some days, with the public defenders office requesting a copy but they have not returned my calls. So I called a different county and asked if a mother of a juvenile being convicted of a felony could get a copy of the police report. She said no. Only a lawyer can. So I guess (to my surprise) the sheriff was telling me the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">