+ Reply to Thread
    missouri is offline Junior Member

Why can't I get a copy of police report?

What is the name of your state? Missouri
    I have posted 2 posts about my 16 year old son being assaulted in the bathroom by a deputy while two others stood by. After this incident he was charged with 3 felonies and 2 mistmeanors (spelling?) . Someone told me to get a copy of the police report. I went to the sheriff today and asked for a copy of my son's police report. He said he couldn't give it to me. He said it was part of the investigation. I said "But he's already been charged and trial has been set for this month. The investigation is over." I asked if it was department policy not to give me a copy. He said it was the law. He said I had to have a lawyer motion the court for me to get a copy. Is he telling me the truth? Does the Freedom of Information Act let me have a copy of my juvenile son's police report? How do I get a copy?
    Happy Trails is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missouri
    What is the name of your state? Missouri
    I have posted 2 posts about my 16 year old son being assaulted in the bathroom by a deputy while two others stood by. After this incident he was charged with 3 felonies and 2 mistmeanors (spelling?) . Someone told me to get a copy of the police report. I went to the sheriff today and asked for a copy of my son's police report. He said he couldn't give it to me. He said it was part of the investigation. I said "But he's already been charged and trial has been set for this month. The investigation is over." I asked if it was department policy not to give me a copy. He said it was the law. He said I had to have a lawyer motion the court for me to get a copy. Is he telling me the truth? Does the Freedom of Information Act let me have a copy of my juvenile son's police report? How do I get a copy?
    So where is your son's attorney?

You can't get a copy of the investigation report, because there may be information in it you are not privy to.

Last edited by Happy Trails; 09-01-2005 at 06:39 PM.
    missouri is offline Junior Member

other county said same

state: Missouri
    Good question. There is a private attorney who showed interest in this case knowing I don't have much money and I am thankful. But he wants to see a copy of the police report. I have left several messages over the last week, plus some days, with the public defenders office requesting a copy but they have not returned my calls. So I called a different county and asked if a mother of a juvenile being convicted of a felony could get a copy of the police report. She said no. Only a lawyer can. So I guess (to my surprise) the sheriff was telling me the truth.