• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will i loose my right to possess firearm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yahoo

What is the name of your state? CA

i have been adjudicated ward of a felony of burglary, will this prevent me from purchasing a firearm, i checked the law and it says if you committed a 707b u cant purchase firearm til 30

CdwJava

yahoo said:
What is the name of your state? CA

i have been adjudicated ward of a felony of burglary, will this prevent me from purchasing a firearm, i checked the law and it says if you committed a 707b u cant purchase firearm til 30
Were you tried as an adult?

And for what specific charge was a true finding made?

If you are reading the sections right in regards to your specific offense under W&I 707, then you are correct in that pursuant to PC 12021(e) you will be ineligible to even possess a firearm until age 30.

- Carl

Last edited:

yahoo

CdwJava said:
Were you tried as an adult?

And for what specific charge was a true finding made?

If you are reading the sections right in regards to your specific offense under W&I 707, then you are correct in that pursuant to PC 12021(e) you will be ineligible to even possess a firearm until age 30.

- Carl
i have true finding on 2nd degree burglary, that isnt on 707b, that will be sealed and i wont loose my right to possess a firearm right

CdwJava

yahoo said:
i have true finding on 2nd degree burglary, that isnt on 707b, that will be sealed and i wont loose my right to possess a firearm right
It will be sealed only if your attorney makes the proper motion to seal after you have completed the requirements of your sentence. And it is MY interpretation that you would not fall under the PC 12021 "felon in possession of a firearm" section for a juvenile conviction after you turn 18 ... but my interpretation and $3.65 can get you a Mocha at Starbucks.

Ask your attorney about the matter if owning or possessing a firearm is that critical.

Keep in mind that it will very likely be a condition of your probation that you do not own or even possess a firearm while on probation. So, for the next 3 to 5 years you may not be able to touch a gun anyway.

- Carl

yahoo

yea, i have a while to go before i can own one. so when its sealed, i can legally own it right

CdwJava

yahoo said:
yea, i have a while to go before i can own one. so when its sealed, i can legally own it right
It has nothing to do with sealing the record. PC 12021 governs a felon in possession of a firearm. Since as a juvenile you you are not convicted - you have a true finding - you can only run afoul of the section under specific circumstances. You should be fine, but before you go counting those chickens you should wait until your probation is completed and then consult an attorney. The law might change in a few years and you do not want to run afoul of it.

- Carl

yahoo

dam ca law gets stricter every year, like the prop 69 dna thing, would they use that database for checks?

CdwJava

yahoo said:
dam ca law gets stricter every year, like the prop 69 dna thing, would they use that database for checks?
Yeah ... darn them trying to get tougher on convicted felons! :eek:

And they would only have to use the DNA database if they have a crime they need to compare DNA to. Oh, and sealing your record only keeps it from public scrutiny ... WE can still see it as necessary.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">