• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my juvenile record result in a denial of sale for a firearm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CardzGuy

Pennsylvania. I just went in today to purchase a handgun from a local gunshop. My purchase was put in "delayed" mode. I have not gotten in ANY trouble since I was 17, however my juvenile records holds two felonies. 1 was for possession with intent to deliver (marijuana)...at 16 yo...I recieved less than a year on probation for, and the other was a recieving stolen property charge at 17. Needless to say that was my highly stupid/ignorant years and have much since grown up! I would like to know if this will result in a denial of sale. I still have my right to bear arms under PA law correct? I'll know within a few days but I would like to settle the anxiety of it all now! Please help!!:)

outonbail

I don't know how old you are now, but I seriously doubt you'll be permitted to purchase a firearm with two felonies on your record, juvenile or not.

JustAPal00

Pennsylvania. I just went in today to purchase a handgun from a local gunshop. My purchase was put in "delayed" mode. I have not gotten in ANY trouble since I was 17, however my juvenile records holds two felonies. 1 was for possession with intent to deliver (marijuana)...at 16 yo...I recieved less than a year on probation for, and the other was a recieving stolen property charge at 17. Needless to say that was my highly stupid/ignorant years and have much since grown up! I would like to know if this will result in a denial of sale. I still have my right to bear arms under PA law correct? I'll know within a few days but I would like to settle the anxiety of it all now! Please help!!:)
Not if you're a convicted felon!

CardzGuy

Helpless in PA

Thx fellas for your quick replies! I will let you know how everything worked out within in a few days. I am REALLY hoping everything goes well! I answered truthfully no to all the questions, I looked them up here @ www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm *(federal categories of persons prohibited from recieving) so I could go over them once more. I cannot find one which I can answer yes to, that will disqualify me or mark me ineligible. I am now 27, and have not even a blemish on my adult record. As a juvenile I never was given a punishment exceeding 1 year. Even with my adult record spotless my "juvy" idiocy will prevent me from my 2nd right? If this does prove true I will be highly, incredibly disappointed. I cleaned up my life and became a productive american citizen, I don't even associate with idiots anymore, but I'll still be labeled a felon in my adult years because of being young and dumb? Does anyone know how much it would cost me to have my record expunged or "sealed"? How possible are any of these options? Thanks again for your help fellas, very much appreciated!

CardzGuy

It's been quite awhile since my last visit to this site. However I figured I'd do a short follow up for people like myself who have given up hope. It is possible to regain your 2nd amendment rights back after your young and dumb years have passed! You MUST have gotten your felony(ies) as a juvenile in order for this to hold true (certain felonies will still exempt you from this rule so do your homework first). There are pamphlets available at your local sheriffs office stating which felonies will exempt you from the 15 year or first to reach 30 rule) . Within 15 years of your last JUVENILE felony conviction or when you reach 30 (whichever is first) you ARE eligible to apply for a firearm once again. No lawyer, no paper work. I not only own one but am also a very RESPONSIBLE LTC holder. I've been carrying for over 4 years now without incident on my part or anothers and plan on only using my sidearm if mine or another persons life is in jeopardy. I will continue to uncomfortably carry this extra weight wherever I go for as long as I live. For the safety of my family, your family and loved ones. I dread the day I will have to take a life in order to save a life however I will not hesitate when and if this day comes. Keep in mind it may be your daughter or sons lives I save on that day. Hope this has helped in one way or another for somebody out there! If you do have a juvy record and find you qualify to own a firearm again....PLEASE be a responsible firearms owner and even more so if you carry! Don't be a bad example...be the perfect example so others who've reformed their lives may follow our footsteps! Support your 2nd amendment rights! Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">