• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawal from school/registration into a new school without an adult at 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alyssa_Ani

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Las Vegas Nevada and I am 5 days away from being 18. I may switch at the semester but my counselor said my mother has to take me out of school. If at the age of 18, your parents are not responsible for you, isn't it possible for me to unenroll myself as long as I am enrolling into another school?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Las Vegas Nevada and I am 5 days away from being 18. I may switch at the semester but my counselor said my mother has to take me out of school. If at the age of 18, your parents are not responsible for you, isn't it possible for me to unenroll myself as long as I am enrolling into another school?
Check with the school. You may have to fill out a form that indicates you are completely responsible for yourself and to take your parents out of the loop.

If you want to enroll in another school, check with BOTH schools to see what they need. They will almost certainly need a proof of residency (in the new school's area) and may require some documentation that you are now responsible for your own affairs.

Are you prepared to take this step? Age 18 means you can make some decisions, to be certain, but it also means that you can be left on your own with only the clothes on your back. if you are prepared for that possibility, by all means, ignore your parents' desires. But, be careful as this may not be a step you can un-do should it blow up in your face.

Why do you want to move to another school so close to graduation?

justalayman

did you ask about leaving school before or after you are 18. Legally your mother must allow it before you are 18. If you asked about after 18, the next question I would have asked is; why does my mother have any involvement after I have reached the age of majority?

at 18 you should be able to leave the current school regardless of whether you are switching to another school or not.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, part of proving you are responsible for your own affairs is a job proving self support. School is paid for by taxes. Rarely will a school allow a transfer unless the student is self supporting or the parent is in the locality so they are reimbursed.

CdwJava

I am not certain about the OP's state, but in mine a student who is requesting to handle their own affairs in school at age 18 must complete documentation attesting to this. It is not merely a function of age. Hence the reason I suggest that the OP ASK the school's involved what she must do. Bureaucracies rarely care if you stamp your feet and say you are an adult - they must have something to say that you are an adult and responsible for your affairs at school before they can or will do anything to remove parents from the loop.

justalayman

I believe it is the same in my state. I would think upon asking what I had op should have been informed of the requirement plus you had already mentioned it so me saying it would be redundant.

CdwJava

I am certain they deal with this a lot, but, bureaucracies run on paperwork and until or unless they get the proper forms filled out, parents will continue to be notified of absences, tardies, and grades, and a student will still need a note from mommy to excuse them for missing school. I have had 3 boys so far reach 18 while IN high school, and none of them went through this process ... of course, if they did, they might have had to perform the full monty and get a job as well as move out. You wanna play adult, then go all the way and good luck to you! :D

OHRoadwarrior

I have been through it with a cousin thrown out by his parents. I managed to get him around the self employment/self supporting factor by producing an IEP, which trumps their procedures in Ohio.

CdwJava

I have been through it with a cousin thrown out by his parents. I managed to get him around the self employment/self supporting factor by producing an IEP, which trumps their procedures in Ohio.
But, that's more than simply walking into the office and saying, "I'm 18 so I can do what I want." :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">