• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering about custody laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOBE

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a friend who is 17 and wants to go to Cali for school. She was trying to get her mom and stepdad (who have full custody of her) to give her real dad custody. Problem is I don't they want to. My question is if she moves to Cali and the age of an adult there is 18 and in NE it's 19, at 18 living in Cali can she move where she would like to? Like if she decided to leave Cali at 18 and go to Texas for school, could her parents tell her no and make her go back to where they want her to be?

JOBE

So even if the age of majority is 19 in NE and her mom have custody, there's nothing they can do about it? See her parents told her that when she pierced her lips that her body wasn't her's until she was 19, so I want to make sure of this before hand. It's odd how every other state is 18 and NE is 19. Her parents also told her that after graduation, she has to start paying rent even though she's 17. Can they also do that?

Just Blue

JOBE said:
So even if the age of majority is 19 in NE and her mom have custody, there's nothing they can do about it? See her parents told her that when she pierced her lips that her body wasn't her's until she was 19, so I want to make sure of this before hand. It's odd how every other state is 18 and NE is 19. Her parents also told her that after graduation, she has to start paying rent even though she's 17. Can they also do that?

Sure they can...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">