• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Xanax Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artbuc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My nephew's 15 yr old daughter is continuing to spiral down. Last year she was arrested for shoplifting (in DE) and was sentenced to 90 days probation. Today, at school, she became ill, incoherent and lost consciousness. They found 20 Xanax pills in her purse. Before losing consciousness she told the principal she had taken 3. She is at the hospital in stable condition. Her father and mother (nephew's ex-wife) are at the hospital waiting to talk with the doctors. We (my sister and I) are waiting for an update.

By far, our major concern is the health (mental, emotional and physical) of my nephew's daughter. Beyond that we are concerned about the legal implications. The school principal said "there will be consequences". We assume he was talking about being placed on probation or being expelled. The local police were at the school when the ambulance left. Will my nephew's daughter be facing criminal charges? How serious is possession of 20 Xanax? Could my nephew be charged considering his daughter is a minor? Should we be looking for a lawyer?

artbuc

Most school systems can expel for this.

It's a VERY serious criminal charge.
First, the good news. Had only taken a few OTC sleeping pills because she likes the way it makes her feel. Apparently she has done this before.

Re criminal charges, could you please be more specific? What kind of attorney should we be looking for. Since we don't have any money her dad will probably get a public defender. Can you get a public defender in a juvenile case like this? Thanks.

Dad is meeting with school principal this morning and he asked me to sit in. Principal called him at the hospital and was very supportive. He said the school was considering a couple options which will be presented this morning. Looks like 10 day suspension will be the best situation. Main objective is to get the right kind of medical care.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">