• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pwest

I live in Ohio and I'm 17 and graduated. I have a steady job and have for the past two years I want to move out and in with two friends who are above 18, is it legal for me to move out of my mom gives consent?

FarmerJ

Since you posted this in landlord tenant, there is nothing truly illegal about you moving out of the parental home. There is nothing illegal about moving in with someone who is over 18 if your not having sex with them since state laws would address a sexual relationship of a over 18 person with a under 18 person. AS to the actual landlord , a landlord could not legally enforce a contract with you because you aren't old enough to enter into that kind of contract BUT if the landlord is okay with someone under 18 staying with the tenants who on the lease now and something does indeed go wrong the landlords recourse is with the tenants who are in the lease now, if at 18 every one agrees to it you could be formally added to the lease other wise as a 17 year old you might only be added as a occupant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
AS to the actual landlord , a landlord could not legally enforce a contract with you because you aren't old enough to enter into that kind of contract
Are you certain that applies to contracts for housing (ie: necessities)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to address the question that was asked.

Yes, IF your mother gives you permission, it is legal for you to move out at 17.

FarmerJ

Zigner when I had my four plex I a lady I knew Suzanne , her 17 year old son asked and she even offered to be the lease holder until he turned 18 so I sought legal advice and in 1996 I was told in my state 17 year olds could not be held to a lease contract, if they didn't pay you couldn't force them to or If he wrecked the apartment my only option would be to file a police report for the property damage if mom didn't sign the lease , but the whole hassle of him being under 18 to me wasn't worth it, I didn't want to put up with parties, etc and since I lived right there in one of the apartments I decided it just wasn't worth it. who knows, maybe it would have been fine, In the early 80s a waitress I knew , Tina was quite mature for her age mentally and physically and at 14 and 1/2 she was thrown out of home , she went way up north to a town where a friend lived , found a job waiting on tables, and rented a sleeping room and LL I guess did not ask enough questions , it was a week by week place , then later on she had rented a place in the near by mobile home park month to month and again no real issue since they knew she worked full time at the diner, and stayed at that job and trailer she rented until she was 19 and wanted to come back to the cities, so anyway ultimately if the parent (s) are okay with it and the LL is too then I guess its okay , Yes some would argue that life necessities might make a difference but in reality can that 17 year old get a checking account with out a parent signing now ? who is the electric or gas company going to get money from if they let a minor have a account and then the minor refuses to pay? and those are considered to be necessities for modern living ? in the end after a 17 yr old turns 18 one could argue that the 18 year old had paid rent while they were a minor and due to paying it in the past established a history of paying so at best at 18 became a month to month tenant

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">