• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd hand smoke from next door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jesse pepin

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I am a renter in Michigan and a new tenant moved in next door and is a smoker. The smoke comes through to our side and makes us sick and smells up our home. We had this problem before but luckly that tenant moved out. What can I do to make our landlord fix this health problem. The health dept. said not our problem.

Cvillecpm

You need to address in writing with landlord, get medical/doctor's letter on how bad it is for your health and then attempt to break lease.

Next time, rent in NO SMOKING building.

Y

yoyoma

You forgot the MOST important question:

DO you have a lease and when does it end?

If you have no lease then give your 30 day notice to move!

And make sure NEXT TIME no smoking in the building is in the lease....Then the landlord would have broken the lease by renting to them!

R

rapunzel41

you're off your rocker if you think that the landlord is responsible to "fix" this"health problem".
like yoyoma said, you should be living in a non-smoking bldg. or better yet, find you own cottage/house or some other dwelling not connected to any other unit, so you can "breathe" easier.

J

jlw1000

Even if the landlord wanted to try to get your next door neighbors to quit smoking, he will have little chance of success. In general, smokers do not care about inflicting their smoke on others & get quite belligerent if asked to refrain from smoking.

I am married to a smoker, & it is a constant battle to get him to respect the non-smoking areas in our home (even when my astmatic nephew visits). If a spouse can not control a smoker's behavior, what makes you think a landlord can?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">