• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 day notice on a weekend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slreno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

we have fell behind in rent and have been served a 3 day notice to leave. i have been reading and ohio law states that the 3 day notice cannot include a weekend as one of the eviction days.. does this make the 3 day notice void? or does it just mean the landlord cant file in court till after the weekend or does it mean he has to re serve the 3 day notice again when it dont fall on a weekend day?
we are not trying to screw him out of his money ... we just need another week and we will have his money but he is such a jerk he will not wait.
thanks.

justalayman

if the law is as you say, the 3 day notice is 3 business days. That means you have 3 business days. If the weekend in within the 3 days, you don't count them but start again counting Monday.

So, if you were served on Thursday, you have until the end of Tuesday to cure or quit.

atomizer

The landlord is not accepting your verbal promise to pay because he has to protect his interest. It is very common for tenants to promise on a certain date and then come up with an excuse as to why the check will not be coming. Some have been know to drag the waiting game for months. Don't take it personal, if you produce the check before the due notice, then there is nothing to be concerned about. Otherwise, the LL is entitled to start a formal eviction anytime thereafter. Any delay will be his decision, not yours.

slreno

if the law is as you say, the 3 day notice is 3 business days. That means you have 3 business days. If the weekend in within the 3 days, you don't count them but start again counting Monday.

So, if you were served on Thursday, you have until the end of Tuesday to cure or quit.
ok so if i got served on a wednesday and he filed in court on monday since the weekend dont count and neither does the day it was served, then i could actually file for a dismissal on the grounds of improperly served 3 day notice and win the dismissal

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok so if i got served on a wednesday and he filed in court on monday since the weekend dont count and neither does the day it was served, then i could actually file for a dismissal on the grounds of improperly served 3 day notice and win the dismissal
Possibly...but heck, all he's got to do is, at court, serve you ANOTHER 3 day notice and you'll be back in court within a week. Why not just quit playing games? :rolleyes:

justalayman

then i could actually file for a dismissal on the grounds of improperly served 3 day notice and win the dismissal
How do you get that? You would not have been served for the eviction until after the 3 days had expired so you have your full 3 days to cure or quit.

plus, I have not researched the laws well either. Ohio may accept the day of service as one of the 3 days.

slreno

How do you get that? You would not have been served for the eviction until after the 3 days had expired so you have your full 3 days to cure or quit.

plus, I have not researched the laws well either. Ohio may accept the day of service as one of the 3 days.
from what i read he has to wait the full 3 days before he can file in court.. by doing it monday he is not giving a full 3 days (not counting weekends or holidays or the day it was served.) thats how i get that.

Banned_Princess

from what i read he has to wait the full 3 days before he can file in court.. by doing it monday he is not giving a full 3 days (not counting weekends or holidays or the day it was served.) thats how i get that.
Today is monday, did you get served the court papers?

Quit trying to figure this out, and figure out where you are going to go when the sheriff's come.

justalayman

so take the shot in court. You might prevail. At worst, you lose and you only have 10 more days to deal with this lousy landlord.

but again, if you were not served on Monday, you had 3 full days to act.

slreno

you guys sound like landlords?
just to clarify, i am not trying to take this man for any money. if he wants me out i will move but what he said to me really got under my skin and if i can prolong this i will! i paid him 2 MONTHS deposit when i moved in. and i am only 2 weeks behind as of rite now. told him i could [pay this coming friday and he said "i cant wait that long i am filing now and what am i supposed to do if you dont pay your deposit needs to cover the next full month until i find a renter!) that is crap. my deposit is not to cover his financial situation while he finds a renter.

if i only paid 1 month deposit i could understand his quick actions to remove me but he has 2 full months deposit. what would he do if i did not want to renew the lease and gave him a 30 day notice when the lease is up. that deposit is suppose to come back to me, not cover his financial situation while he finds a renter.
by the way i only have 2 months left on lease i think thats why he dont want to wait so he can pocket the deposit because of a broken l;ease and my deposit can cover his finances while he finds a renter. thats what it boils down to. so your coming down on me when this guy is the crook.

thought this was an advise forum anyway, not a place judgment forum?

slreno

The landlord is not accepting your verbal promise to pay because he has to protect his interest. It is very common for tenants to promise on a certain date and then come up with an excuse as to why the check will not be coming. Some have been know to drag the waiting game for months. Don't take it personal, if you produce the check before the due notice, then there is nothing to be concerned about. Otherwise, the LL is entitled to start a formal eviction anytime thereafter. Any delay will be his decision, not yours.
and you said the exact words i was looking for. "formal eviction anytime there after"
that is correct but he didnt wait until there after. he actually filed on the 3rd day and didnt give us a full 3 days as the law states.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again, even if you are correct in your interpretation of the law, you are only delaying the inevitable by a few days.

Stop playing games and stop blaming the LL because YOU haven't lived up to the agreement that you signed.

And, to be clear, I'm not a LL.

justalayman

nor am I a LL. I don't think I could be a LL. The bodies would stack up faster than I could bury them. :eek:

i am only 2 weeks behind as of rite now.
Only 2 weeks. That's half a month but regardless, late is late and if you cannot remedy the 3 day notice, he has a right to boot ya. It is simple business.

my deposit is not to cover his financial situation while he finds a renter.
well, that all depends. Sometimes it is exactly what your deposit is for. When you go to court, make sure he either can or cannot retain the deposit. In some states, when you evict a tenant, you do not have the right to claim for damages for the vacancy which is what he is talking about.

If you had terminated the lease, the deposit most definitely would be usable for the damages he would incur due to the vacancy, as well as advertising expenses to rent the apartment.

he actually filed on the 3rd day and didnt give us a full 3 days as the law states.
and again, unless you were served before the 3 days had run, you were given 3 full days to cure the breach.

Please explain how you had less than 3 full days to cure the breach? Maybe I can't count but I'm just not seeing what you are.

slreno

nor am I a LL. I don't think I could be a LL. The bodies would stack up faster than I could bury them. :eek:

Only 2 weeks. That's half a month but regardless, late is late and if you cannot remedy the 3 day notice, he has a right to boot ya. It is simple business.

well, that all depends. Sometimes it is exactly what your deposit is for. When you go to court, make sure he either can or cannot retain the deposit. In some states, when you evict a tenant, you do not have the right to claim for damages for the vacancy which is what he is talking about.

If you had terminated the lease, the deposit most definitely would be usable for the damages he would incur due to the vacancy, as well as advertising expenses to rent the apartment.

and again, unless you were served before the 3 days had run, you were given 3 full days to cure the breach.

Please explain how you had less than 3 full days to cure the breach? Maybe I can't count but I'm just not seeing what you are.

he is telling me he will not take any money at this point.. and by the ohio revised code i had until the end of today to pay him BEFORE he could file in court.. he has already filed for formal eviction in court today and the day 3rd legal day is not even over yet.

heres the breakdown.
served a 3day notice wednesday afternoon 5/12/2010. (that day didnt count in ohio)
thursday and friday ===2 days
sat and sunday dont count in ohio
monday 3rd day 5/17/2010.. day is not over yet and he has already filed in court.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">