• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a $300 late fee reasonable...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Driven08

Hello, I'm new to the site and am in desperate need of some insight. I live/rent in New Jersey and I am inquiring about a late fee clause that is in my lease. My landlord gives me until the 10th of each month. After that day, I am charged a $300 late fee. Is this reasonable/legal? Please help me. :)

HomeGuru

Hello, I'm new to the site and am in desperate need of some insight. I live/rent in New Jersey and I am inquiring about a late fee clause that is in my lease. My landlord gives me until the 10th of each month. After that day, I am charged a $300 late fee. Is this reasonable/legal? Please help me. :)
**A: please state exactly what your lease reads. Do not paraphrase or interpret.

Driven08

Unfortunately...

I can't access the lease right now. Is there any general information you can give me on this?

xylene

Push to shove:

A twenty-five percent late fee is likely unenforceable in NJ.

BUT - do you really want to go to court?

xylene

Why is this even an issue? YOU HAVE 10 DAYS TO PAY YOUR RENT!!!
I'm sorry, did you have some insight that a usurious late fee would be allowed given a 10 day grace period?

That's not what law and the courts interpretation of the law suggest from my reading.

GoldenEye77

I personally think these late fees are getting rather excessive. I live in San Francisco where it's a Landlord's market. I cannot imagine a Landlord enforcing such a huge sum, just for being a day late, but a contract is a contract, unfortunately. If I don't pay my late fee, it would eventually come out of my security deposit, unless I can barter with him and get out of it somehow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">