• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildinwarba

What is the name of your state?Minnesota Hi . I bought a house with my boyfriend. Shorthly after, his son moved in with us. His girlfriend also moved in. It was for only two months that they lived here before they broke up and moved out. He has since come over to pick up his things. Hers are still here. It has been 3 months now. I was told to send her a registered letter to her last known address (which is here) asking her to get her belongings. At this time I have no idea where she is staying. Neither does her ex-boyfriend. What is my next step? Thank You

HomeGuru

wildinwarba said:
What is the name of your state?Minnesota Hi . I bought a house with my boyfriend. Shorthly after, his son moved in with us. His girlfriend also moved in. It was for only two months that they lived here before they broke up and moved out. He has since come over to pick up his things. Hers are still here. It has been 3 months now. I was told to send her a registered letter to her last known address (which is here) asking her to get her belongings. At this time I have no idea where she is staying. Neither does her ex-boyfriend. What is my next step? Thank You

**A: what belongings? She did not leave anything there.

Happy Trails

Was she employed?

Do you know how she was supporting herself?

What does ex b/f know about her and where she was living before?

Is she still alive? :eek:

The above may be a way to track her down.

Info. link to MN state statutes on landlord/tenant law:

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/data/revisor/statutes/2004/504B/271.html

From link above:

The landlord may sell or otherwise dispose of the property 60 days after the landlord receives actual notice of the abandonment, or 60 days after it reasonably appears to the landlord that the tenant has abandoned the premises, whichever occurs last, and may apply a reasonable amount of the proceeds of the sale to the removal, care, and storage costs and expenses or to any claims authorized pursuant to section 504B.178, subdivision 3, paragraphs (a) and (b). Any remaining proceeds of any sale shall be paid to the tenant upon written demand.

Prior to the sale, the landlord shall make reasonable efforts to notify the tenant of the sale at least 14 days prior to the sale, by personal service in writing or sending written notification of the sale by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the tenant's last known address or usual place of abode, if known by the landlord, and by posting notice of the sale in a conspicuous place on the premises for at least two weeks.

wildinwarba

Thanks for the replies. She will be getting her stuff soon. There was a note on my door when I returned home from work with her contact number. Funny how things happen ! Thanks Again

Happy Trails

wildinwarba said:
Thanks for the replies. She will be getting her stuff soon. There was a note on my door when I returned home from work with her contact number. Funny how things happen ! Thanks Again
Well, at least we know she is alive! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">