• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment issue in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellabuchette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
What are the rules to classify an apartment abandoned in Texas.
I have a neighbor who has NOT been in her apartment since July 12, 2008 due to the fact that her boyfriend hijacked the power from the electric company (her electric had been cut-off due to non-payment) and ended up burning up the meter. (we all lost power for several hours due to this incident). The electric company, is looking for her and so we know there is no power in her unit, but she still pays her rent according to the management company.
I'd like to know if someone else can declare her apartment abandoned. The smell and roaches coming from this unit is awful and I've spoken to the management company and they said "there is nothing we can do because she's still paying her rent on time".
What can I do?

Gail in Georgia

Call your local Health Department in regards to the health and safety risk from this unit. They should be able to get the landlord/management moving in terms of checking out this apartment.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">