• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse of Authority in Housing Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gjefferson

What is the name of your state?NY

I received an eviction notice and inturn filed an Order to Show Cause, which was signed. However, upon my return one week later the judge rendered a decision for me to pay a surcharge without reviewing any supporting documents from the landlord's attorney.

Can I have this decision overturned? Should I address the Administrative Judge?

She also questioned my smiling in the courtroom and stated this is not a joke and seemingly appeared to display an abuse of authority.

Please advsise.

You Are Guilty

While I'm sure the judge acted entirely appropriately, if there is a specific written decision or order you wish to appeal, the instuctions can be found here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/housing/appeals2.shtml

Note the time constraints, as well as the potential cost. Filing a frivilous appeal can have serious consequences, not the least of which is being forced to pay for the other side's attorney's fees for having to respond to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">