• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive Landlord wants my keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gdavisloop

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I've lived in the same place for 24 years but a new landlord bought it.
Since then he's caused a fair amount of trouble which ended in a retaliatory eviction. I won the eviction in court.

He's demanding I give him my keys. I've heard that under CA law he has the right to my keys, but I consider him a "stalker" and I'd never feel safe living here if he could enter against my will.

I've suggested instead the I will instruct the Alarm Company, which has 24 hour/day service and is located directly across the street from my house, to let him in in an emergency.

He says he's coming to forcably enter and change my locks.

Given the circumstances (he makes me feel unsafe) and my solution (access through the alarm company) do I have any legal right to keep my keys to myself?

If I give him the keys and change the locks the next day, am I in violation of the law?

thank you,
--Gary Davis

HomeGuru

gdavisloop said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I've lived in the same place for 24 years but a new landlord bought it.
Since then he's caused a fair amount of trouble which ended in a retaliatory eviction. I won the eviction in court.

He's demanding I give him my keys. I've heard that under CA law he has the right to my keys, but I consider him a "stalker" and I'd never feel safe living here if he could enter against my will.

I've suggested instead the I will instruct the Alarm Company, which has 24 hour/day service and is located directly across the street from my house, to let him in in an emergency.

He says he's coming to forcably enter and change my locks.

Given the circumstances (he makes me feel unsafe) and my solution (access through the alarm company) do I have any legal right to keep my keys to myself?

If I give him the keys and change the locks the next day, am I in violation of the law?

thank you,
--Gary Davis
**A: after you read the L/T law CA Civil Code, come back and ask your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">