• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive/violent roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah D

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Rhode Island

Okay so my roommate has become a violent threat to myself and my 2 other roommates and we all want her out of the house. She claims we cannot evict her because she is on the lease. We had to call the cops on her for violent abuse and we all want her gone asap. I should also mention that she absuses drugs(cocaine,xanex, exctasy,ect.) and alcohol at all hours of the day. She purposefully used up all the hot water in her showers and leaves everything under the sun turned on to mess with our electric bill. She also messed with the thermostat all winter. She has been nothing but a financial and social distress on us since we moved in. We do not care about her portion of the rent, we can all cover it and have people who are willing to move into her spot. What can we do? Can we get her evicted somehow?

Gail in Georgia

You are not the landlord and you cannot evict anyone. However, have you discussed the drug use with the landlord?

All the other things you mentioned (using all the hot water for her showers, keep the lights on) are all nonsense reasons for an eviction; however, if you have PROOF (with police backup) regarding her drug use, the landlord may wish to initiate an eviction based on this reason.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">