• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adding children to a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vhaalston

i live in washington state and moved into a 2 bedroom home and signed a one year lease 2 months ago. (the lease states occupancy by one adult) at the time i told the landlord that my two children ages 5 & 8 were living with their dad. now the two boys want to come live with me. landlord states that he wants an additional $150 security deposit (i paid $500 already, rent is $795) and an additional $50 per month. as these are minor children, can they do that? (ie;what if i'd given birth, can a landlord raise rent because of that? aren't they renting me the building? what does how many people-if minor children, not paying adult roomates- have to do with it, the rental was advertised for $795 in the paper, if i'd stated they lived with me at that time, could they have changed the rent above the advertised price, if not, why could they now?) my husband and i are seperated and filing for divorce, but nothing is final and nothing was in writing to state they were living with him or not with me at the time i moved in. i am filling for primary custody to which husband agrees so this will be a permanent move. if you need more info let me know

H

hahaper

Well YES this is legal the alternative is to evict you for having more then one person live in the apartment...

YOU ARE violating the lease!!!!!

YOU are making a decesion as to who lives in the apartment and its NOT you decesion to make.

So the increased security is for damages by kids and the rent is for increased wear and tear water etc. whos gonna pay if the kids damages the flowers or plants around the house?

If you stated they lived with you at the time you applied.... YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OFFERED THE RENTAL!!!

And so you paid $500 deposit... get used it it girl ....THAT'S CHEAP!!!.....

I dont know anywhere where its LESS then a month's rent and sometimes they want 2 months security PLUS the first months rent...

Now after that bashing... had you took the opposite approach, say invite the landlord and his wife to dinner and as them if it would be allright to have my kids stay here and to have you kids meet the landlord and see that arent so bad and destructive, maybe you would have gotten a better deal...but lets face it the landlord is really being generous with you already.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

hahaper said:
Well YES this is legal the alternative is to evict you for having more then one person live in the apartment...

YOU ARE violating the lease!!!!!

YOU are making a decesion as to who lives in the apartment and its NOT you decesion to make.

So the increased security is for damages by kids and the rent is for increased wear and tear water etc. whos gonna pay if the kids damages the flowers or plants around the house?

If you stated they lived with you at the time you applied.... YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OFFERED THE RENTAL!!!

And so you paid $500 deposit... get used it it girl ....THAT'S CHEAP!!!.....

I dont know anywhere where its LESS then a month's rent and sometimes they want 2 months security PLUS the first months rent...

Now after that bashing... had you took the opposite approach, say invite the landlord and his wife to dinner and as them if it would be allright to have my kids stay here and to have you kids meet the landlord and see that arent so bad and destructive, maybe you would have gotten a better deal...but lets face it the landlord is really being generous with you already.
My response: once again happyroach is incorrect and does not have knowledge of L/T laws and Federal Fair Housing laws.
In the writers case, L is guilty of violating provisions in Federal law based on discrimination.
To the writer: file a complaint with www.hud.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">