• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding Tenants to Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cz2h76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michiganWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
My tenant wants another adult to move in to the condo I am renting to her . The lease says that she and her minor sons are the only people that should be living in the condo now - "exclusively" I told her that her rent would increase and she didn't like that answer. She offered me an extra $25 and told me if I didn't like that to take her to court.I sent her a certified letter with an addendum to the lease and the new rent that I was going to charge which was and additional $100 / month. She ignored the letter and sent me the check for the month's rent with the additional $25 which confirms that the second adult moved in.
What should my next step be? I don't want to evict her, I know that she can afford the increase, and I think it is a reasonable offer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may want to consult with a local landlord/tenant attorney. In any case, you shouldn't allow this to continue.

Who's Liable?

Send her an eviction notice for violating the terms of the lease, OR send her a notice of eviction for non-payment of rent if she does NOT include the additional monies for the second person.

DO NOT ACCEPT ANY rent check that is less than the amount expected. If she send the rent check WITHOUT the additional $100, return the check with a letter stating she did not include the additional $100 and now she is late on rent plus any late fees as stipulated in her lease.
If she still refuses to pay, proceed with the eviction process...

Gail in Georgia

Take her up on her offer.

Take her to court.

It's quite likely that if you do what has been suggested above, she'll come up with the extra funds to avoid being sued.

Your tenant has, unfortunately, forgotten that you are the landlord and thus are (or should be) the one in charge.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">