• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After 3 yrs I am informed they will put a lock box on my thermostat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Azaries

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Ok I have lived at a guest house (1 room, hot plate) for over 3 yrs. $500 a month The front house is enormous with a swimming pool. The electric to both houses are on one meter. Which I was told by phone guy is not legal, but I went to pay my rent today and the guy in big house made a complaint that the electric bill was too much so it must be my fault. He gets reduced rent of 150$ because it's on his bill. The electric has been shut off 2x since he's lived here 3 months. My rent has never been 1 minute late, I'm quiet and hardly have company and today I was told they are going to put a lock box on my thermostat! Because he can't pay his electric bill and is blaming me! I'm 70 with health problems with COPD, heart attacks etc and due to 18 medications sometime need to turn the air lower in the night to breathe. It's usually on 80.. She told me to call if I needed changed, they won't answer in the middle of the night! I've had to get my own repairs done because they don't do anything. So is this even legal? I can't afford to move I am on SS of low income level and have 280$ after I pay rent for other bills. I can't even get my car fixed of a/c going out as I have no money and will pass out in heat so can't go out. Thank you for any help, I'm so stressed out over this, like am I in a communist country?

justalayman

do you pay a separate amount for the electric? If not I do not believe there is any requirement there be separate meters.

Thank you for any help, I'm so stressed out over this, like am I in a communist country?
really? A communist country? You have no sense of what communism is apparently and are really off the mark suggesting your situation is anywhere close to a communist situation. Since you rent and do not own your home, the rules are controlled by the laws of Arizona. Arizona requires a landlord to provide a reasonable amount of cooling. What are the ambient temps in your area currently?

and; who do you rent from; the tenant in the big house or the owner of the house?

JoDa

In AZ, air conditioning is considered an "essential service" of rented properties. See http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/consumer/call-12-for-action/2014/06/24/tenant-you-are-entitled-to-working-air-conditioning/11342479/

However, and unfortunately for you, none of the AZ laws I can find specify what temperature the AC must be provided at, nor exactly when. In most places, if you don't pay your own electric bill, the landlord is allowed to lock the thermostat up and set it only to the bare minimum the law requires. For example, here in DC, heat must be provided to 68 daytime and 65 night at all times; and AC (if installed and operation paid for by the landlord) to 78 or 15 degrees below the outdoor ambient temperature, whichever is greater, between May 15 and September 15. In AZ, there appear to be no specific temperatures that the landlord must abide by (though my research was brief, so do try investigating on your own to see if there is a minimum threshold for AC).

And, another however, if you have a medical condition where high temperatures could cause you physical harm, you might also qualify to have the AC set a little lower. Again, you need to research the local/state laws as well as talk with service agencies in the case of claiming a disability exception to the general laws.

Bottom line, it does appear that your landlord can dictate what temperature the thermostat is set at. However, they must provide heat and AC, but without specific temperature parameters from my brief research. If you have a medical need for temperatures different from what your landlord is providing, you need to document that and make a formal request. Please do some further research to determine if your locality has specific temperature guidelines for landlord-provided heating and cooling.

FarmerJ

Perhaps it may be a good time for you to apply for senior citizens apartments where the rent is reduced because of your income, other wise in the time being as far as thermostat goes NO you don't have to let another tenant into your unit to set a thermostat if the locked Tstat is in your unit , You would have to allow your LL in to adjust it but not another tenant. As far as the electric being included does your lease say you cannot have your own air conditioning unit ? maybe one of them roll up to window w plastic tubes that go to panel units could work for you.

Azaries

The renter in the huge house has been here 3 months and electric shut off 2x . He is blaming it on me making a big bill. I have 1 room, the living room in that house is bigger then where I live. There are 3 bedrooms, a den, washer room, dining room kitchen. All huge rooms and a pool. I think the quest house actually was converted from a garage as its all cement outside. I don't even have a stove. It's 1 room, And no other renters ever complained, till now. He gets a rent reduction for my electric..after 3 yrs of no problems this pops up and I'm the one who won't be able to control my a/c? I didn't even have the heat on most of the winter. The communist remark was just a remark on how I feel after living here 3 years and all of a sudden they are going to control my a/c. Really?

JoDa

As I noted above, it does seem your *landlord* would be able to limit what temperature the thermostat is set at (within reasonable boundaries), but now it sounds like it's another *tenant* that's trying to control your heat/AC? Please clarify who is trying to set the temp, what basis they have given for doing so, and what they have set it to (winter/summer).

justalayman

actually if you would clarify who your landlord is it would be great. Is the tenant in the main house your landlord (you subletting) or is there a common landlord for the both of you?

Azaries

The landlord does not live here. The renter in the front house has had the electric shut off for non payment 2x out of 3-4 months he lives here. My 1 room guest house has the same electric meter. He gets a $100 rent discount for paying electric. I don't even have a stove. He complained to landlady that the bill is too high and I must be using too much electic when in fact his living room alone is bigger then my whole house! So the LL said
today when I paid my rent said she was going to put a lock box on my thermostat!

FarmerJ

Have you ever been curious as to your unit having a certificate of occupancy ? If you don't want to go that route and the electric is turned off again for nonpayment call your city inspections desk and tell them Your electric is included in the rent but the electric is now off due to nonpayment and you would like them to come out and verify that its off again so if you have to later on sue your LL then you have proof to show the court that it was off.

justalayman

Have you ever been curious as to your unit having a certificate of occupancy ? If you don't want to go that route and the electric is turned off again for nonpayment call your city inspections desk and tell them Your electric is included in the rent but the electric is now off due to nonpayment and you would like them to come out and verify that its off again so if you have to later on sue your LL then you have proof to show the court that it was off.
if there is no c/o OP may find themselves moving out in short order. Maybe OP needs to consider all the ramifications before taking any actions.

FarmerJ

due to the OPs age and income and medical conditions if the city were to come out and condemn the unit there may well be enough things there to trigger a emergency placement into public housing / senior housing since many cities do this ( it may not be just a senior bldg but mixed age but the OP sure wouldn't have to deal with utility disconnections)

JoDa

due to the OPs age and income and medical conditions if the city were to come out and condemn the unit there may well be enough things there to trigger a emergency placement into public housing / senior housing since many cities do this ( it may not be just a senior bldg but mixed age but the OP sure wouldn't have to deal with utility disconnections)
That would be ideal, but it's not aways realistic. I think OP should take some time to talk to service agencies in his area and see if alternate housing or code enforcement for his current housing can be arranged, without putting him on the street and within his budget. Look, as a landlord who complies with all local ordinances, I abhor those who flout the law and paint all landlords with a broad brush of "slumlords." But I also have my feet firmly planted in reality and recognize that, in some cases, it's this cheap illegal apartment or living on the street, and if you rock the boat, you're out. Do I think OP should put up with this long-term? No, I do not. Do I think he should talk with local service agencies and get his ducks in a row before complaining? Yes, I do.

So, OP, please, please, please research the licensing situation of your home, talk with service agencies that can help you have a comfortable place to live where you are if it's legal and just needs a little sharp elbow to the landlord, and investigate your options if you have to move. And maybe also broach a conversation with the landlord, even if they're not legal. "I've lived here for a long time and always been a good tenant. Now you're allowing these johnny-come-latelies to cut off my electric and restrict my AC? Does that seem fair?" That might have a big impact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">