• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

agreed to let me out of my lease verbally...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeisme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I've been talking with my landlord about month-to-month as I want to buy a house. Well, miracles of all miracles, a house was presented to me that I can't pass up, sooner than I had planned. My landlord has told me verbally, on several occasions that he would let me out of my lease. I was explicit in saying that once I vacate on March 31, I would not be able to continue to pay the rent through the end of my lease on July 15. We came to a verbal understanding that he was ok with this and he asked me to call the property management company to concur they would let me out of the lease and that he was in support of that. So, I called the property management company he rents through, and they stated if he agreed to let me out of the lease they would oblige.

Today, I get a different story. He called and referred me to a person at the property management establishment. He stated he asked them to work with me as I'd been a good tenant and at the time, seemed a little wishy-washy…but to call them. Now I'm getting told that I will owe rent through July 15th unless we are able to do an early lease and someone else picks up the house (hopefully by April 30), if not that I am obliged to pay rent through July.

I’m trying not to panic...I am buying a house and if this damages my credit, I'm sort of planning to take the hit. But, I'm not sure if I have any other options.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I've been talking with my landlord about month-to-month as I want to buy a house. Well, miracles of all miracles, a house was presented to me that I can't pass up, sooner than I had planned. My landlord has told me verbally, on several occasions that he would let me out of my lease. I was explicit in saying that once I vacate on March 31, I would not be able to continue to pay the rent through the end of my lease on July 15. We came to a verbal understanding that he was ok with this and he asked me to call the property management company to concur they would let me out of the lease and that he was in support of that. So, I called the property management company he rents through, and they stated if he agreed to let me out of the lease they would oblige.

Today, I get a different story. He called and referred me to a person at the property management establishment. He stated he asked them to work with me as I'd been a good tenant and at the time, seemed a little wishy-washy…but to call them. Now I'm getting told that I will owe rent through July 15th unless we are able to do an early lease and someone else picks up the house (hopefully by April 30), if not that I am obliged to pay rent through July.

I’m trying not to panic...I am buying a house and if this damages my credit, I'm sort of planning to take the hit. But, I'm not sure if I have any other options.
Never count on anything that you don't have in writing.

If a tenant can be found to take over the lease, you should be okay. Although the landlord has to make a good faith effort to do so, he doesn't automatically have to rent to someone so you can get out of your lease and into your house. You could help to find a tenant.

If no one is found, you will have to pay. That's why it's good when people have an eye to buying their own home, they rent month to month rather than sign a lease.

joeisme

yes...

I didn't really plan on breaking my lease...but the house next door came up for sale at a price that I can't pass up. Price is too right. But, I had started talking to him about month-to-month renting because I was planning to buy soon...but I didnt' know when. That's when this deal fell into my lap. I've been totally up front with him and he seems to have been on board.

I'll give it a day or two. I posted to all my friends that may be interested in renting a house...so I am trying to fill the vacancy as well as the property management company. Like I said, I may get lucky and it will rent between now and when I vacate. I plan to tell him I will pay rent for April if it hasn't rented by then...but after that, I could only pay the portion he has to pay the PM to manage his property.

tranquility

Contracts which of and concern land, like a lease, need to be in writing. A verbal release is ineffective. Consider yourself subject to the lease. Keep trying to mitigate the damages. Try to get a written approval to let you out by sending a letter stating your understanding of the conversation to the management company. At least it will act as notification where they can try to begin to mitigate as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">