• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreed on move-in date, gave deposit, now told need to move in 2 weeks earlier

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Petergl

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello,
As the title indicates, I agreed with a leasing manager at an apartment building in Philadelphia on a move in date (June 15) and gave her a deposit. Two hours later, she sends me this email:

"Bit of a conundrum. I just found out that your apartment will be ready for a 6/1 move in. Is there anyway that we could start your lease and payments on June 1st? I am trying to push back the start date as far as possible but it looks like June 1st is it. I feel awful about this - especially cause we are both so excited about this apartment. My sincere apologies for any problems caused. Please get back to me."

Isn't she and the company legally obligated to honor the original June 15 move in date?

Thank you.

ENASNI

ummm

Umm sorry this is not legal advice... but ... Huh?

Did you have anything signed??

Petergl said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello,
As the title indicates, I agreed with a leasing manager at an apartment building in Philadelphia on a move in date (June 15) and gave her a deposit. Two hours later, she sends me this email:

"Bit of a conundrum. I just found out that your apartment will be ready for a 6/1 move in. Is there anyway that we could start your lease and payments on June 1st? I am trying to push back the start date as far as possible but it looks like June 1st is it. I feel awful about this - especially cause we are both so excited about this apartment. My sincere apologies for any problems caused. Please get back to me."

Isn't she and the company legally obligated to honor the original June 15 move in date?

Thank you.

Who's Liable?

If you have a signed lease, then yes, the company is legally obligated to give you the unit of the date specified on the lease.

Check your state's LL/T laws in regards to surrendering said property to the tenant. Some states have a clause that states a tenant can legally terminate a signed lease if the unit they were promised is not ready or the LL refuses to give them.

Petergl

Verbal agreement

Nothing signed, no lease yet; this was just the agreement we made before I gave a norefundable deposit to hold the apartment for that date (June 15) pending their credit check of me, before proceeding to draw up and sign a lease.

My question is specifically about the verbal agreement we made that was the premise for me agreeing to make the deposit to hold the apartment. If anyone knows the specific legal status of this agreement, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Who's Liable?

wait a min... I read your post the wrong way. She wants you to move in two EARLIER... my mistake.

If you have NOTHING signed, you do not have to move in on that date.

If you do plan to move into this place on the 15th, make them aware of the situation, and that you do not plan nor will you move in on that date, but also expect to be pro-rated for the days you will move in. BUT since nothing was signed, they have a right to NOT rent to you if they find someone else who can move in on that date.

Did you sign a contract stating the $300 was a NON-refundable deposit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">