• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Air Conditioners and Rent Amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bs_sunshine

What is the name of your state? New York
I recently moved into an apartment within the same building I've lived for 5 years. I didn't read the lease upon signing, thinking the rules would be the same. I received my lease today in the mail, three weeks after I moved and noticed two strange things. 1) it says that no air conditioners are allowed in my apartment (there are separate outlets in each room for air conditioners as well as breakers), and everybody in my building (31 apartments) has at least 2 air conditioners 2) we pay $1,250.00 and on the lease it says $2,000.00* (*Legal rent is $2,000.00.Tenant is granted preferential rent of $ 1,250.00 per month for this lease period only). Can they expect us to pay $2,000.00 after this lease expires or they have to increase the rent based on what we pay? This apartment is not worth $2,000.00. We moved because there was lead in our old apartment and I have 2 small children. We filed a complaint to the Housing Department. Thank you in advance for your advice on what I can do.What is the name of your state?

bs_sunshine

I want to know if they can tell me not to use an air conditioner when the building is equipped with special lines and outlets to handle the job. Isn't it discrimination when everyone can have air conditioners and I am the only one who cannot?

treese

You did not bother to read or try to understand the terms of the lease, but you signed it and agreed to it.

You should direct your questions to the landlord or management.

You Are Guilty

Do the other apartments have wall or window air conditioners? (I suspect the mgmt company just doesn't want you to install a window unit yourself, because if you did and it fell out on someone's head, the LL gets to pay for it...)

Last edited:

bs_sunshine

All other apartments have window air conditioners and I had two of them in the apartment on the 4th floor. Now I moved to the first floor and I can not have any. I spoke with the management and the reason they told me was that the building is old and the electric system is not prepared to do the job. My husband is an electrician and he said everything is Ok. There is 2 separate outlets for AC.

You Are Guilty

Does your rent include electric? Is this public housing or Mitchell-Lama?

I'm afraid there is no law in NY that requires the LL to permit you to install window air conditioners though.

You Are Guilty

Then it's time to start negotiating with your LL to strike that provision out of your lease. Your only other options are to not put the AC in, or to install them, and run the risk of being evicted for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">