• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airbnb house party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAA16

I went looking for a place on airbnb to have a house party. It was hard since no one agreed but I found a few places. We The one that we picked that there was going to be alcohol there. He said it's fine and that the neighbors are cool. That's all.. He never asked if there were going to be anyone underage drinking there(probably a few)...I am of age to drink though.... God forbid, but if the police do come and catch someone, who is responsible me the tenant or the owner?

westside

If you were in the U.S. you would be charged with some sort of contributing crime. You would also be responsible for damage done by your drunk friends. Since you deleted the required question about your U.S. state, I have no idea of the laws of your country.

Last edited:

quincy

I went looking for a place on airbnb to have a house party. It was hard since no one agreed but I found a few places. We The one that we picked that there was going to be alcohol there. He said it's fine and that the neighbors are cool. That's all.. He never asked if there were going to be anyone underage drinking there(probably a few)...I am of age to drink though.... God forbid, but if the police do come and catch someone, who is responsible me the tenant or the owner?
What is the name of your state, AAA16 (and the name of the state where you intend to hold your house party, if different)? Or do you reside in another country?

If in the US, you and any other adults who host the party can be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors. The minors can be charged with possession/consumption if they attend a party where there is alcohol and/or if they drink alcohol at the party.

I hope the owner of the house has good insurance.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Even if the owners insurance isn't all that great AAA16 its likely that any damages you or your guest cause will be billed to you , if you don't pay then the owner most likely will sue you for the damages and if the damages are real REAL bad they could fall into a chargeable crime. then of course the last thing would be the Judgment and how long it can stay out in the books and how it could impact your ability to rent any thing in the future and having to pay more for credit related items. A Judgments can be kept on the books in some states easily for twenty years when a unpaid judgment is renewed. B data mining firms who re sell what they learn will eventually add any judgments and if they pick up any criminal court records related to that rental and the reason for the judgments to their files and when other prospective landlords learn of it I can imagine most landlords with nicer rental units will reject your applications which could leave you only able to rent the worst crap hole units out there because those could be the only landlords out there who would consider renting to you. You may be better off doing a rental hall and keeping it to no alcohol or NO underage or one that would allow you to byob.

quincy

Even if the owners insurance isn't all that great AAA16 its likely that any damages you or your guest cause will be billed to you , if you don't pay then the owner most likely will sue you for the damages and if the damages are real REAL bad they could fall into a chargeable crime. then of course the last thing would be the Judgment and how long it can stay out in the books and how it could impact your ability to rent any thing in the future and having to pay more for credit related items. A Judgments can be kept on the books in some states easily for twenty years when a unpaid judgment is renewed. B data mining firms who re sell what they learn will eventually add any judgments and if they pick up any criminal court records related to that rental and the reason for the judgments to their files and when other prospective landlords learn of it I can imagine most landlords with nicer rental units will reject your applications which could leave you only able to rent the worst crap hole units out there because those could be the only landlords out there who would consider renting to you. You may be better off doing a rental hall and keeping it to no alcohol or NO underage or one that would allow you to byob.
First, it is good to see you posting as FarmerJ again, FarmerJ. :)

There can be a lesson learned for both property owners and those who wish to pay owners for use of their property in the story out of Michigan of University of Michigan students who stayed at Treetops Resort in northern Michigan last year.

The combination of partying and alcohol led to close to $500,000 worth of damage to the resort property and the students were criminally charged with malicious destruction of property. They are responsible for paying restitution, not only for the damage done to the property (and the damage was extensive) but also for the time the resort could not rent out the property during reconstruction. The students have been suspended/expelled from school. They have damaged their own reputations to the point where education and employment opportunities are now limited.

The owner of the AirBnB should have an agreement signed that assigns all damage, theft, loss or destruction of property to the prospective hosts of the party. As one of the hosts, AAA16 should know who his partiers are and not allow minors to attend if there is alcohol. He should also monitor the alcohol consumption of his guests as AAA16 can be held liable for any injuries that occur on the premises or as a result of his party (e.g., drunk driving accidents).

There is a lot for AAA16 to consider beyond his guest list, in other words.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">