• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AL law on landlord/tenant rights...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmw2123

My friend is renting from a lady in AL. There's always a lot of problems going on there. She(tenant) is having some financial problems right now, so she's a month late on rent. Just to let it be known, all her utilities are included in the rent... power, water, gas... When rent came up again she asked if she could have one week to catch up completely. They wouldn't allow it(although many of the other tenants are behind as well) and the very next morning her power was cut off. Not by the power co. but by the LL. The LL said she could get her power back when she pays her rent. Also before all this happened and she was caught up with her rent, the LL was apparently behind on the bills and the power co. had ALL the power cut off. Can the LL cut her power off and leave her without power because she's behind.

Also the another thing the LL has done to other tenants is actually evict them without going through the evictions process. A neighbor to the tenant (spoken of above) said he couldn't pay til the end of the week and the LL told him to be out by the next AM!!! Is any of this right?? I know it's a lot & kinda confusing, but what can I tell her???

Who's Liable?

My friend is renting from a lady in AL. There's always a lot of problems going on there. She(tenant) is having some financial problems right now, so she's a month late on rent. Just to let it be known, all her utilities are included in the rent... power, water, gas... When rent came up again she asked if she could have one week to catch up completely. They wouldn't allow it(although many of the other tenants are behind as well) and the very next morning her power was cut off. Not by the power co. but by the LL. The LL said she could get her power back when she pays her rent. Also before all this happened and she was caught up with her rent, the LL was apparently behind on the bills and the power co. had ALL the power cut off. Can the LL cut her power off and leave her without power because she's behind.
LL should have provided a 3-day notice to pay or quit. Since she failed to do so, she is now guilty of an illegal eviction, REGARDLESS of tenant paying. Your "friend" can sue for the illegal eviction if power was shut off.

Also the another thing the LL has done to other tenants is actually evict them without going through the evictions process. A neighbor to the tenant (spoken of above) said he couldn't pay til the end of the week and the LL told him to be out by the next AM!!! Is any of this right?? I know it's a lot & kinda confusing, but what can I tell her???
Only a judge can order an eviction after the LL has PROPERLY followed the steps to evict.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">