• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i able to break lease for medical reasons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnight60639

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

i am 88 years old. this past week i was taken to the er which was a possible mini storke. the suggested i not live by myself any longer. i will have to move in with my granddaughter. would i be able to break my lease for medical reasons?

thank you
Lisa Brown

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

i am 88 years old. this past week i was taken to the er which was a possible mini storke. the suggested i not live by myself any longer. i will have to move in with my granddaughter. would i be able to break my lease for medical reasons?

thank you
Lisa Brown
to be honest, not unless your lease says otherwise.

have you talked to your landlord? maybe they may be a bit more sympathetic if you informed them, and gave enough time to look for another renter?

Cvillecpm

Ask and if your landlord says no, then indicate your daughter will have to come live with you - that may make things SIMPLER in the long run or your landlord may decide that letting you out of your lease is better than having the extra wear and tear on your apt.

swrdmbo

I would ask your LL. Many of us would release someone from a lease for such a personal (and unforeseeable ) thing.

Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">