• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible for a prorated rent & full deposit refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etjw668

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My lease terminates July 31, 2005. I paid a full month's rent July 1st through July 31st. I haven't completed moving out of the home. I have cleaned the home and had scheduled the carpet to be cleaned at the end of the month before I turn over possesion to the landlord Aug. 1st.

The landlord is aware that I haven't completely moved and we were scheduled for a final walkthrough Aug. 1st. The landlord informed me she had a tenant coming by to look at the property yesterday, which was ok w/me. The landlord contacted me this a.m. and said she had someone come out and clean the carpet in the entire house.

I don't understand why she done this because I still had possesion of the property and now I'm unable to complete the final cleaning of the property in addition I need to move my things out now.

Should I assume the owner has taken possesion of the property since she took it on herself to have the carpet cleaned before I moved out? When you give a move notice, can a property owner come in and make repairs/carpet cleaning before I vacate the property? If I complete my moveout immediately will I be entitled to a prorated refund of July's rent? Am I eligible for my full refund of my deposit, even if I'm unable to finish cleaning?

Last edited:

ENASNI

Well

Look at it this way, you do not have to clean the carpets now. :)
I do not see why you cannot still move your things out or finish cleaning. She is showing the house and wants it to look its best. Carpets dry in no time. Just keep the traffic areas protected and carry on.

She did not take over possession, and unless she has wrenched the keys from your cold dead hands :p you still have possesion.

Thats the way I see it, others may chime on in.

Chime away folks. :D

You may want to discuss the deposit with your LL. But, it appears as though the LL did not take possession. You should at least advise your LL that you had the intent of cleaning the carpet yourself in order to obtain the refund. In addition, depending on your lease. The shape of the carpet may simply be considered wear and tear. In which case, you are not responsible for cleaning anything other than nasty stains basically.

treese

Should I assume the owner has taken possesion of the property since she took it on herself to have the carpet cleaned before I moved out?
No. The LL did not take possession, she entered lawfully to show the property. You should not have to have the carpets cleaned again, though.

When you give a move notice, can a property owner come in and make repairs/carpet cleaning before I vacate the property? Yes. A landlord can lawfully enter a rental property at any time during the tenancy with proper notice for specific reasons.

If I complete my moveout immediately will I be entitled to a prorated refund of July's rent?
No, you are responsible for the entire month's rent as per your own notice.

Am I eligible for my full refund of my deposit, even if I'm unable to finish cleaning?
No, you still have possession and should finish cleaning.

As per Oklahoma Landlord/Tenant law, in certain circumstances, your landlord has a right to enter your apartment. The landlord can come in to make repairs, inspect the property, show the apartment to prospective new tenants or buyers, or in the case of an emergency. Oklahoma requires one day's notice for non emergency entry.

south

NO.. you have not moved out yet
NO.. you are not entitled to prorate the month you are still required to give the proper notice and pay for that time period.

Be happy you did not have to clean the carpets.

NO.. you are not entitled to a full deposit return if you do not complete cleaning in the unit

And yes you are still able to clean the property except now you have less to do so stop looking for excuses clean it and move on.

etjw668 said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My lease terminates July 31, 2005. I paid a full month's rent July 1st through July 31st. I haven't completed moving out of the home. I have cleaned the home and had scheduled the carpet to be cleaned at the end of the month before I turn over possesion to the landlord Aug. 1st.

The landlord is aware that I haven't completely moved and we were scheduled for a final walkthrough Aug. 1st. The landlord informed me she had a tenant coming by to look at the property yesterday, which was ok w/me. The landlord contacted me this a.m. and said she had someone come out and clean the carpet in the entire house.

I don't understand why she done this because I still had possesion of the property and now I'm unable to complete the final cleaning of the property in addition I need to move my things out now.

Should I assume the owner has taken possesion of the property since she took it on herself to have the carpet cleaned before I moved out? When you give a move notice, can a property owner come in and make repairs/carpet cleaning before I vacate the property? If I complete my moveout immediately will I be entitled to a prorated refund of July's rent? Am I eligible for my full refund of my deposit, even if I'm unable to finish cleaning?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">