• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I obligated to return security deposit to my ex roommate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roxxchick

This issue has happened in the state of California.

I had a roommate who was not on lease.She gave me 30 day notice verbally to move out in July breaking our first agreement to move out in August.I tried to look for a roommate to move in for august but didn't find any.I ended up failing to give LL 30 day notice and got 1/3 of the security deposit back. my last roommate paid her deposit $700 to my ex roommate when she was leaving.So there was understanding that my last roommate will get her deposit back from the check I got from LL.I felt bad for my failure to give LL 30 day notice.so I once texted her I will be paying her $700 (she still has the text) but one lawyer i talked to said she cant get her deposit back without giving me proper written 30 day notice. so I emailed to her i won't pay. am I obligated to pay her deposit in this case?

The fact is I once texted her I will be paying her back the deposit because I felt bad for her not getting her deposit back but later I was wondering if i really have an obligation to pay her back so I talked to an online lawyer. He told me I am NOT obligated to pay her.
However i felt bad for her not getting money back, so I gave her my proposal to pay her $350 out of the goodness of my heart by emails. I sent her the half of $350 but I did not like her attitude so I told her in emails that i will not send the other half of the money.
she now thinks I can not waive to pay by my own decision and it will be a fraud for me not to pay after I said to pay in emails.

but I am wondering if My promise through text message could constitute the agreement of paying her back the $700.
In other words, am I obligated to pay her legally after I agreed with her moving out upon her verbal 30 day notice and the fact I texted her to tell her I will be paying?
Does this mean lawfully I agreed with her moving out and admitted my responsibility to pay her full deposit back by me telling her I will pay the amount in text message and confirming her verbal 30 day notice?

Would it be a fraud for me to refuse to pay any money to her after I promised in text message and emails?

Who's Liable?

You may be SOL since you sent her a text message stating you would return the $700. Text messages can and are upheld in a court of law.

HOWEVER, you can send her a letter CRR, stating you are withholding X amount due to her failure to provide proper notice to vacate, cleaning fees, etc.. This may or may not be allowed by the judge if she takes you to court.

applecruncher

The fact is I once texted her I will be paying her back the deposit because I felt bad for her not getting her deposit back but later I was wondering if i really have an obligation to pay her back so I talked to an online lawyer. He told me I am NOT obligated to pay her. However i felt bad for her not getting money back, so I gave her my proposal to pay her $350 out of the goodness of my heart by emails. I sent her the half of $350 but I did not like her attitude so I told her in emails that i will not send the other half of the money. she now thinks I can not waive to pay by my own decision and it will be a fraud for me not to pay after I said to pay in emails.
Since you feel so bad, and since you have so much goodness in your heart, AND especially since you told her in a text message that you would pay her the $700, then pay her the $700.

If I were her, I would hold you to it, I wouldn’t feel bad about it, and I wouldn’t put up with your backpedaling.

but I am wondering if My promise through text message could constitute the agreement of paying her back the $700.
Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">