• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I owed rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mysasa76

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in Oakland, CA and was given a 30 day notice to be out by 5/18/07, I have called my landlord letting them know I'll be out 5/8/07, am I intitled to ask for the prorated rent from 5/9 to 5/18?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA

I live in Oakland, CA and was given a 30 day notice to be out by 5/18/07, I have called my landlord letting them know I'll be out 5/8/07, am I intitled to ask for the prorated rent from 5/9 to 5/18?
a: Nope.....

CA LL

Nope..not unless they re-rent the place (assuming you turn in keys on your move date) before the end of the notice period.

Cvillecpm

Unless you have given your notice IN WRITING...you will owe rent past the 18th. Calling your landlord is nice, but it is not a lawful notice to terminate your tenancy.

Fl_renter

Unless you have given your notice IN WRITING...you will owe rent past the 18th. Calling your landlord is nice, but it is not a lawful notice to terminate your tenancy.
Why would OP owe rent after the 18th if given notice to be out by the 18th?

mysasa76

Because they are refinancing the property, and doing major improvements on the house, which means it won't be occupied for a few months.

Cvillecpm

If rennovations could start earlier I WOULD GIVE YOU YOUR PRO-RATED RENT BACK but I don't think they are required to do so.

trishyj

Sounds reasonable

Sounds reasonable to me. They gave you a date and you have to find someone else to live and don't want to wait until the last minute. And-you need that money for your new rent.

I am not sure if legally he/she is required to give it back to you, but I do think ethically they should (my opinion!). All you can do is ask-again it sounds to me like a totally reasonable question/request so don't be shy about asking.:)
Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">