• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for pool repair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silly2988

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

We rent a home through a property management company. The issue at hand is the pool motor went out for our pool in the backyard. We reported this issue 2 months ago to the property management. They initially tell us its the owners responsibility and that to go through the warranty company to get it fixed. We did that, however the owners let the warranty coverage lapse, so when they renewed it, the warranty company claims now the pool motor issue is a pre-existing issue and refuses to cover it. So we let the property management know and nothing was done for 2 months. During that time the water turned green because the pump wont work and no one is getting back to us about getting this fixed. Fast forward to yesterday, the owner of the property management just shows up unannounced to the house and claims we are responsible for repairing the pool. He had a copy of the lease and was trying to hand it to us while saying we had to pay for it, spouting off prices. I told him we are not responsible and asked him to leave the property.

In a follow up email I tell him through the lease the lessor is responsible for all repairs of the mechanical parts of the pool, so we are not responsible. He replied back stating that we neglected our duty to keep the pool water clean, and now the city could fine us for green water and they are forced to send someone out to fix the pool motor, but that we the tenants will be responsible for paying to get it fixed. However the lease says that the lessor will make repairs in a timely manner so that stuff like this wont happen. I told him if they plan to charge us, then to not send anyone out because we are not responsible. But again he keeps saying we are responsible for the repair. Below is the paragraph he is referring to in the lease. Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing? That the lessor is responsible for the repair of the pool in a timely manner? I plan to talk to a lawyer, but wanted to ask your thoughts. Here is the part of the lease the property management highlights saying this says we are responsible for fixing the pool motor.

"Lessee will keep and maintain the premises and property, including all appurtenances, at their own expense, including but not limited to keeping the swimming pool in like condition and repair as at the commencement of the lease, and will be responsible for any damages, with the exception of normal wear and tear."

However, a couple of lines down it says this:

"Lessor will be responsible for repairs to the following items; heating and cooling units, major plumbing and leak problems, ALL MECHANICAL POOL PARTS, dishwashers, ranges and ovens, refrigerators, and water heaters."

I also want to point out when we initially moved in the pool was disgusting and not even usable. We had to come out of pocket to get it fixed, the property management eventually reimbursed us, and the pool was not usable until 2 weeks after we moved in. Dunno if that makes a difference in this matter.

silly2988

How did you report this? Did you get an answer in writing?
I used their online ticketing tool per their instructions. I dont have an answer in writing I dont think, though the warranty company should have records of us calling in requesting to fix it. I believe I do have phone records as well showing us calling the property management to also report it. But in the ticketing tool it shows us creating the ticket back in June, but they never respond to us via the ticketing tool.

FarmerJ

Stop using email and or voice mails and send to the LL a on paper certified letter and in the letter outline your lease and tell them Your not responsible for repairs , they are and repeat a lot of what you said here, it is not your problem if they let this warranty service lapse, and since they have known about the need to repair this for X amount of time it is not your problem if the city cites them for violating a ordinance. IN the letter let them know you would be more than happy to let them look bad in court. DO treat this whole thing as if they were going to take the repair out of your deposit funds when you move. Take a lot of pictures to show the homes general condition and wear and tear. Treat the whole thing as if your going to prepare for small claims court. ( don't plan on them renewing your lease either , but maybe you would be better off elsewhere with a landlord who actually follows her/his own lease)

silly2988

Stop using email and or voice mails and send to the LL a on paper certified letter and in the letter outline your lease and tell them Your not responsible for repairs , they are and repeat a lot of what you said here, it is not your problem if they let this warranty service lapse, and since they have known about the need to repair this for X amount of time it is not your problem if the city cites them for violating a ordinance. IN the letter let them know you would be more than happy to let them look bad in court. DO treat this whole thing as if they were going to take the repair out of your deposit funds when you move. Take a lot of pictures to show the homes general condition and wear and tear. Treat the whole thing as if your going to prepare for small claims court. ( don't plan on them renewing your lease either , but maybe you would be better off elsewhere with a landlord who actually follows her/his own lease)
Thanks for the info. Just got back from the lawyers office. They said something similar, to send them a letter giving them 10 days to fix it otherwise we either pay to get it fix and deduct from the rent or we break the lease and move out. But I dont want to move out because I like the location, but I know whats going to happen otherwise. They will refuse to do anything, then I will pay for someone to fix it, they will refuse to reimburse me so if I try to deduct from rent they will then file an eviction notice, then I will have to pay a bunch of money to go to court to get resolved, then sue them for the court/lawyer cost then wait for x amount of time and hassle them to pay me back. If and when they pay me back I will be back where I started. Ugh, seems like the property management has the upper hand to do just nothing...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just keep in mind that if you use the repair and deduct method, the maximum amount you are allowed to deduct is 1/2 your monthly rent.

silly2988

Does your lease contain a clause relating to who pays legal fees?
It says if dispute should arise between the parties as to this agreement, both parties waive right to trial by jury, and accept binding arbitration. In lieu of all other relief, the parties agree to reasonable attorney fees and costs. Also a quick update, the property management now is saying that they honor their commitment and that they will send someone out to fix the pool motor. However they wanted to do this earlier and said that they would charge us for the repair. So am I allowed to deny a contractor to come out and fix it if they have already said they will be charging me?

silly2988

Just keep in mind that if you use the repair and deduct method, the maximum amount you are allowed to deduct is 1/2 your monthly rent.
I dont want to pay and deduct. I just want them to come out and fix it and I dont have to come out of pocket. There are other issues with this property management, including they owe me for paying out of pocket for staying at a hotel. The A/C went out and it took them a week to finally get it fixed. During that time I stayed at a hotel because its AZ and temps were in the 110-120 that week, we were having health issues trying to stay in that house. They even told us via email they would reimburse us. Whats even messed up and I have it recorded, they called me and told me that they will even put the hotel on their card. But when I went to the hotel to do that and contact them, they refused to answer the phone and never even got back to me about it. But now they wont even acknowledge they received a copy of the receipts. Now Im going to properly send those certified letter, should of in the first place I guess.

The lawyer said I have good reason to legally break the lease and move somewhere else, the problem is I love the location where Im at. Perfect for my kids and their friends, right next to the school. We havent moved when the lease was up prior because we couldnt find a similar location.

Zigner

It says if dispute should arise between the parties as to this agreement, both parties waive right to trial by jury, and accept binding arbitration. In lieu of all other relief, the parties agree to reasonable attorney fees and costs. Also a quick update, the property management now is saying that they honor their commitment and that they will send someone out to fix the pool motor. However they wanted to do this earlier and said that they would charge us for the repair. So am I allowed to deny a contractor to come out and fix it if they have already said they will be charging me?
Let them fix it and then let them try to charge you for it. You can't stop them from fixing it.

silly2988

Let them fix it and then let them try to charge you for it. You can't stop them from fixing it.
So if the contractor shows up, fixes the issue then hands over a bill and says I have to pay for it, do I have the right to refuse? Or do I tell the contractor ahead of time? Thats the confusing part to me.

Zigner

So if the contractor shows up, fixes the issue then hands over a bill and says I have to pay for it, do I have the right to refuse? Or do I tell the contractor ahead of time? Thats the confusing part to me.
I'd let him fix it and tell him to give the bill to the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">