• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amount of rent increases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monkeysuncle

My state is California. We have lived here for 5 years and just got the latest notice sent to us through the mail, not registered but whatever, and this will bring the increases in the last 5 years to over $500.00. :mad:We are senior citizens. We've had our car broken into twice despite the fact that we are behind gates and have a secure door at the front of the building. :eek: The door is always left open, there is no parking EVER in front for guests, we have a 3 level hike from the subterranean parking with groceries, no elevator, and on and on. I know this complex has been paid off for many years but they keep citing increase in their expenses. I don't see where. They didn't even heat the pool this summer. A few months ago we asked for new paint and carpet and were told no. The only thing they have done for us is to replace a broken dishwasher.:cool:
Doesn't this seem exorbitant? Also, How do I find out if we are in a rent-controlled area of the L.A. area? Thanks so much.

CourtClerk

My state is California. We have lived here for 5 years and just got the latest notice sent to us through the mail, not registered but whatever, and this will bring the increases in the last 5 years to over $500.00. :mad:We are senior citizens. We've had our car broken into twice despite the fact that we are behind gates and have a secure door at the front of the building. :eek: The door is always left open, there is no parking EVER in front for guests, we have a 3 level hike from the subterranean parking with groceries, no elevator, and on and on. I know this complex has been paid off for many years but they keep citing increase in their expenses. I don't see where. They didn't even heat the pool this summer. A few months ago we asked for new paint and carpet and were told no. The only thing they have done for us is to replace a broken dishwasher.:cool:
Doesn't this seem exorbitant? Also, How do I find out if we are in a rent-controlled area of the L.A. area? Thanks so much.

What city do you live in and what is the zip code? When was the building built and how many units are involved?

CourtClerk

By the way (as I stated in another post), I live in an LA suburb and my rent has risen just over $400 in the last 9 months. That's the way it is in LA, it's not right, but thats the way it is, and no, I don't live in a rent controlled area so they can get away it with it.

monkeysuncle

What city do you live in and what is the zip code? When was the building built and how many units are involved?
We live in Arcadia and zip is 91007. I don't know when the building was built but from the looks of the design, I'd say the '60's. There might be 36 units, I haven't counted but I'm trying to envision in my head.

In response to the poster who suggested we move, it's not that easy. For one, we are seniors and also rents for less sq. ft and one less bedroom are crazy in any decent part of L.A. unless we move clear across town which is not viable since our kids are in this part of town and we need to be fairly close to them. As it is, we are 1/2 hour from any of them. L.A. is very, very spread out.

moburkes

We live in Arcadia and zip is 91007. I don't know when the building was built but from the looks of the design, I'd say the '60's. There might be 36 units, I haven't counted but I'm trying to envision in my head.

In response to the poster who suggested we move, it's not that easy. For one, we are seniors and also rents for less sq. ft and one less bedroom are crazy in any decent part of L.A. unless we move clear across town which is not viable since our kids are in this part of town and we need to be fairly close to them. As it is, we are 1/2 hour from any of them. L.A. is very, very spread out.
I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to understand why you'd "willingly" go through this.

CourtClerk

Arcadia is not covered under rent control. Sorry... You'll either need to move, or maybe your kids can help you with the rent.

Like I said, I feel for you. My rent went up $215, then 9 months later, another $223. Total being $438 in 9 months. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

monkeysuncle

Arcadia is not covered under rent control. Sorry... You'll either need to move, or maybe your kids can help you with the rent.

Like I said, I feel for you. My rent went up $215, then 9 months later, another $223. Total being $438 in 9 months. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
That's a horrible amount of rent increase! I feel bad for you. We had planned to buy but have been waiting for prices to dip a bit more because buying is out of hand here, too. I'm sounding like a whiner but I don't mean to. It's just so infuriating! This puts us at $1910. a month. It's ridiculous. It would kill me to ask for help from our kids. We may need that down the line when they pick out our nursing home.;) If the landlords were nice people, it might make a difference in how we feel but they are not.

CA LL

You seem so unhappy..I suggest you shop around for another place OR stay there and realize that it is what it is.

I just checked Craigslist..FYI you are in ARCADIA not L.A. proper and there are cheaper places in Arcadia, L.A. and all over that area. BUT you don't even say how many bedrooms you have, what attracted you to the place to begin with, etc.

And just an FYI..having properties in CA is extremely expensive..expenses go up a LOT every single year. Seems over five years they have been raising your rent maybe 7-8 PERCENT a year (not sure how many increase and spread out how) which is only slightly above the averages for the area over the last five years.

Was there a legal question here? Five years is not really a "long" term tenant and carpet/paint is not typically done until a unit is vacated. They replaced what was broken..the dishwasher. The rest is what it is and you are making a choice to stay there. Parking is horrendous in MANY older complexes because they were built when families had ONE car.

CA LL

You seem so unhappy..I suggest you shop around for another place OR stay there and realize that it is what it is.

I just checked Craigslist..FYI you are in ARCADIA not L.A. proper and there are cheaper places in Arcadia, L.A. and all over that area. BUT you don't even say how many bedrooms you have, what attracted you to the place to begin with, etc.

And just an FYI..having properties in CA is extremely expensive..expenses go up a LOT every single year. Seems over five years they have been raising your rent maybe 7-8 PERCENT a year (not sure how many increase and spread out how) which is only slightly above the averages for the area over the last five years.

Was there a legal question here? Five years is not really a "long" term tenant and carpet/paint is not typically done until a unit is vacated. They replaced what was broken..the dishwasher. The rest is what it is and you are making a choice to stay there. Parking is horrendous in MANY older complexes because they were built when families had ONE car.

Any increase greater than 10% COMBINED in any twelve month period you must get a SIXTY day notice not a 30 day. That's about the only "legal" input I can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">