• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annoying neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larissa

What is the name of your state? West Virginia
my landlord is a very nice lady however, she is very slow about fixing problems and never does them accurately. I asked her months ago to fix my shower and yet it still sprays water clear accross my floor instead of on me!!! My main problem with her is that my new neighbors are very noisy at 3am and I have a daughter. I have complained to her many times and she wont do anything about it. Their fan in their bathroom is so loud it could wake a sleeping bear! I asked her to fix it since they come home and spend hours in the b.room at 3am but has she fixed this problem? of course not. Also they leave their alarm go off for hours when they are not home. It is driving me insane from sleep deprivation! They also locked me out when I took my trash out one day and I had no way of getting back in. it was very cold and my daughter and I had to wait outside for them to return. I don't want to live here anymore and deal with them. I signed a lease until May but since my landlord wont even fix their bathroom light, do I have to stay here or can I move and not pay rent? What else can I do? Is their a law against leaving alarm clocks on all night?

FarmerJ

Larissa find your own replacement tenant and get the LLs aproval of the person before you complete moving out . In the time being rent a self storage locker or find some where to store things and start to de clutter and empty out , make the apt look roomy and big with fewer things . reduce your nicknacks and get like your summer stuff outof there . it actually will make move day go easier , Then start cleaning the place just as if it was your own and you were trying to sell it . closets way way thinned out too so they look huge . then run ads in local paper .make sure your LL knows your going to do this also begin communications with your LL in writting , using certificate of mailing at the min in order to have rcpt for mail. allow your LL to aprove of the replacement tenant . have several of them too . when you move out take pics of the apt proving how it looked . a replacement tenant needs to come up with deposit and rent too so you can be reimbursed your dep .

JETX

Larissa, I offer an alternative to Farmers response....

You have a right to 'peaceful enjoyment' in the privacy of your home. If that right is being denied, you need to document them. So, start right now.... everytime that your right is violated, make a note of the date, time and a description of the problem. After you feel you have enough 'reports', write your landlord a letter. Advise her of your right of peaceful enjoyment and that it is being violated by HER tenant.... and that she is responsible for that violation. Include a copy of your record of violations. Advise that if she does not take matters to resolve this problem within the next ___ days (15??), that you will have little options but to consider her (the landlord) in breach of your lease and that your lease would be terminated.
Keep copies and send by certified RRR.

Be advised, there is some risk in this tactic. The final determination of what constitutes violation of your 'peaceful enjoyment' may end up in the courts. And if the court does not agree that the complaints were sufficient (and were just 'inconveniences'), then you could be stuck with paying rent for the period that the property was vacant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">