• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another ex-roommate... police are calling me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nandnor

UPDATE: The situation has escalated. I reposted at the Criminal Law forum. The link is here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=375869 If anyone has any further help, you can post wherever you feel is most appropriate... I'll be keeping tabs on both.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just got a call from the police asking me to come in sometime this week, so I'm pretty shaken up, so I apologize if I ramble.

I borrowed a roommate's clothes while she was out of town. Her door was open and unlocked. Someone took a few pictures of me while I was wearing the clothes and they got on the internet, where she found them this past week, and is now furious. We have since moved out (just in the past week, seriously, bad timing since she tried to kick me out as I was moving my things), and we have no further contact. Today I received a call from the police, as I said.

Is there anything that I have done that was illegal? If so, what are the possible penalties. If not, are they just asking me to come in to make sure I didn't... I don't even know what they could possibly think, or what my roommate is thinking by insisting on calling the police.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just got a call from the police asking me to come in sometime this week, so I'm pretty shaken up, so I apologize if I ramble.

I borrowed a roommate's clothes while she was out of town. Her door was open and unlocked. Someone took a few pictures of me while I was wearing the clothes and they got on the internet, where she found them this past week, and is now furious. We have since moved out (just in the past week, seriously, bad timing since she tried to kick me out as I was moving my things), and we have no further contact. Today I received a call from the police, as I said.

Is there anything that I have done that was illegal? If so, what are the possible penalties. If not, are they just asking me to come in to make sure I didn't... I don't even know what they could possibly think, or what my roommate is thinking by insisting on calling the police.
Unless the police charge you with something, you do NOT have to show. They will lie to you to come in, but UNTIL you are officially ordered via a judge, you do NOT have to show. Simply tell them no thanks and hang up the phone.

nandnor

Unless the police charge you with something, you do NOT have to show. They will lie to you to come in, but UNTIL you are officially ordered via a judge, you do NOT have to show. Simply tell them no thanks and hang up the phone.
Sure, but I don't know if I've done anything wrong, so I thought I would go in just to clear things up. I don't want to seem as if I have something to hide or give her even more reason to push things or find other (legal but annoying) ways to retaliate.

nandnor

pssst, borrowing without permission is still STEALING.

Just because you put it back doesn't change the facts.
Okay, but I was just responding to you. I'm not trying to change any facts. I'm just asking if what I've done is illegal and whether or not I will receive any penalty. We're a couple of college girls. I borrowed her clothes. Will the police do anything besides follow up her complaint with a few questions?

tranquility

pssst, borrowing without permission is still STEALING.

Just because you put it back doesn't change the facts.
Morally, perhaps. Legally, no.

Black letter law for larceny is the taking and asportation of the personal property of another with the intent to permanently deprive the owner thereof.

Borrowing without asking and then returning it clearly shows a lack of intent. There is a tresspass to chattel here (a tort), but I don't see a crime. That intent issue is why most states have a joyriding statute. They couldn't get the kids for car theft, because the proscecutors couldn't prove the intent element.

Alaska landlord

Show up at the Police Station with 3 or 4 of your friends all wearing the same identical outfit as the missing clothing, then ask how you can be of assistance in solving the crime of the missing clothing.

las365

Did the police say WHY they wanted you to come in? I find it very hard to believe that they would be investigating a case of borrowed and returned clothing.

Call back the person at the police department who called you and ask what it is about. See what they say. You don't have to go, but maybe you will be able to find out what it's really about. Again, I can't imagine why the cops would orchestrate some elaborate scheme to get you to the station to arrest you for borrowing clothes.

fairisfair

Morally, perhaps. Legally, no.

Black letter law for larceny is the taking and asportation of the personal property of another with the intent to permanently deprive the owner thereof.

Borrowing without asking and then returning it clearly shows a lack of intent. There is a tresspass to chattel here (a tort), but I don't see a crime. That intent issue is why most states have a joyriding statute. They couldn't get the kids for car theft, because the proscecutors couldn't prove the intent element.
soooo you won't mind if I borrow your car tonight, oh around midnight or so......I'll be back before dawn. LOL

Of course I know the police aren't going to arrest her, and no DA is going to prosecute her for borrowing someone's clothes, but it is still stealing, and she may well get her @$$ kicked next time. LOL

ENASNI

holy moly and my cousin crimoly!

Obviously these are not Wal-Mart brand clothes, and again Obviously this OP and her friend are of a class that do not need "Free" advice. Spoiled rotten punks. If you ask me. I mean really " clothes" and "lawsuits". Give me a friggin' break.

There is a heckfire more going on than " who borrowed my boots?"!!

quincy

Just curious - The roommate didn't happen to discover anything else missing from her room when she got back into town, did she? I have a hard time believing the police would get involved with a matter as simple as clothes that were worn and returned - unless there is a dry cleaning bill that needs to be paid or damage to the clothes worn or something.

nandnor

Just curious - The roommate didn't happen to discover anything else missing from her room when she got back into town, did she? I have a hard time believing the police would get involved with a matter as simple as clothes that were worn and returned - unless there is a dry cleaning bill that needs to be paid or damage to the clothes worn or something.
Nope. No damages. She's just a very angry person in general... not that I ever did anything to her previously.

Obviously these are not Wal-Mart brand clothes, and again Obviously this OP and her friend are of a class that do not need "Free" advice. Spoiled rotten punks. If you ask me. I mean really " clothes" and "lawsuits". Give me a friggin' break.

There is a heckfire more going on than " who borrowed my boots?"!!
Uh, thanks. Actually, I'm pretty broke, and you're just making wild assumptions. I said I go to college; I didn't say I go to George Washington off my parent's dime. No one mentioned lawsuits and... okay, you're pretty much just a troll, so I'm stopping there.

Did the police say WHY they wanted you to come in? I find it very hard to believe that they would be investigating a case of borrowed and returned clothing.

Call back the person at the police department who called you and ask what it is about. See what they say. You don't have to go, but maybe you will be able to find out what it's really about. Again, I can't imagine why the cops would orchestrate some elaborate scheme to get you to the station to arrest you for borrowing clothes.
They just asked me to come in, after a brief conversation where they tried to ascertain if I even did anything wrong... she probably called them in a rage and they're feeling obliged to follow it up. I've decided, from the information given here, that if either I or the police actually had a reason to have any charges brought against me, they would have had me come in today, or would have found me sooner. So I'm just going to ignore it.

Thanks, everyone. You've been really helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">