• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apartment break in and unathorized use

• Thread starter randy hendricks
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

randy hendricks

louisiana, someone kicked door in on my apartment, management repaired and did not notify as i was out of town for nine months. $3500.00 worth of items missing and for a period some one was living in my apartment unknown to me. manager agreeded to oversee apartment in my absance and conversed on telephone for the entire nine months. is managment and or property owners responsible

C

CharlesDeMar

Typically, in a principal/agent relationship (which the owner/manager relationship is), the principal is ultimately held responsible for the mistakes of the agent. While Louisiana law is a little freaky in that it's the only state in the country that's civil--and not common--law, I'd be surprised if the law were different in that area.

If your renter's insurance covers it, your insurance provider will sue, not you.

If the same thing happened to me, and if I didn't have renter's insurance, I'd name both the manager and the owners as defendants. I'd also give some serious thought to getting a lawyer.

On a closing note, I'd like to point out two things:
1) I'm not a lawyer, and
2) Legal advice is like anything else--you get what you pay for. So take any advice you get here with a grain of salt.

L

LL

CharlesDeMar said:
Typically, in a principal/agent relationship (which the owner/manager relationship is), the principal is ultimately held responsible for the mistakes of the agent. While Louisiana law is a little freaky in that it's the only state in the country that's civil--and not common--law, I'd be surprised if the law were different in that area.
Off your main subject here, but I think that California also doesn't have common law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">