• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment complex won't fix AC...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

burke_tj

Michigan.

We've been without AC in our apartment for a little more than 2 weeks now. The temp. is reaching over 90 degrees now with this heat. We've many attempts to call the office on our problem and over 2 weeks ago summitted a maintenance slip for the problem to fix. We have also made many calls to the office to find out when is it suppose to be fix and we get the same answers, "The parts are on order", "maintenance will be out today", or "we've got 19 other apartments without AC and your on the list now". These are the answer we constantly get. We have friends here that have been without AC for over a month now. And to top this off, I don't think they've even been out to see what is wrong with it or if it needs parts to be ordered. We've also contacted the owners who also own many other apartment complexes with no return answer.

What can I do? I feel like I'm been run over here. The heat is now affecting my sleep for work. Who can I call? Can I get out of the lease to go to a place with better maintenance? (signed yearly lease...ugh) And if so what are the proper procedures in doing so?

Please help... I'm so fed up!

Thank you!!

A

akdent

Was in a similar situation last year

I went through the exact same thing last year. The complex's excuse was that they didn't have a licensed HV/AC tech on staff and they used outside contractors who didn't always show up, etc.

We finally got them to agree to letting us hire someone ourselves, then they reimbursed us by deducting the cost from our rent. Maybe you could try that?

Or, tell them that you can no longer stay in your apartment as it is and that you expect your A/C to be fixed immediately or that they pay for your hotel stay until it is fixed.

Good luck!

J

jldrace6

I was in the same situation last August and the AC just now got fixed. AC is considered a luxury and unfortunately you have no legal recourse. What we ended up doing to beat the heat was buy a huge industrial size fan from Wal-Mart and it worked for us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">