• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment was deamed unlivable.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casperjasper200

TX.
I signed a new lease and 2 days later the housing authority inspected my apt. and found the apt. unlivable. I informed my landlord I was moving out because of this matter and he would not let me out of my lease. My lease states I will not have to pay more then $538 for a termination fee and he put in my 30 day termination papers that I need to pay over $700. Then I was told for terminating my lease I forfeit my $750 in deposits which is not stated anywhere in my lease contract. Also posted in the leasing office is a sign that says "If you are not satisfied in the first 30 days of your lease we will release you from your lease agreement." What are my legal rights and do I have any grounds to sue? I just want out of my lease and the $300 deposit I was entitled to get back. PLEASE HELP. You can email me at [email protected].
There is a lot more problems that I have had with the apt. since I moved in but this is my main problem.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

TX.
I signed a new lease and 2 days later the housing authority inspected my apt. and found the apt. unlivable. I informed my landlord I was moving out because of this matter and he would not let me out of my lease. My lease states I will not have to pay more then $538 for a termination fee and he put in my 30 day termination papers that I need to pay over $700. Then I was told for terminating my lease I forfeit my $750 in deposits which is not stated anywhere in my lease contract. Also posted in the leasing office is a sign that says "If you are not satisfied in the first 30 days of your lease we will release you from your lease agreement." What are my legal rights and do I have any grounds to sue? I just want out of my lease and the $300 deposit I was entitled to get back. PLEASE HELP. You can email me at [email protected].
There is a lot more problems that I have had with the apt. since I moved in but this is my main problem.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did the housing authority give the LL a list of things he needs to fix, or were they just like this place is unlivable.

Did you get a document to that effect? why would you sign for a apartment that wasn't livable?

casperjasper200

Yes

Yes they gave them a list of everything they needed to fix but I had also lived there a year and a half and now to find out along with all the other problems with the apt. This was the last straw. The office was hardly ever open during business hours so I couldn't put money on my laundry card when I needed too. We have copies of work orders that were never done and the management has changed three times since I have lived there. I can also get the document of everything that was wrong with the apt. I have the persons direct number that inspected the apt and all I have to do is go pick up the paper.

Banned_Princess

Yes they gave them a list of everything they needed to fix but I had also lived there a year and a half and now to find out along with all the other problems with the apt. This was the last straw. The office was hardly ever open during business hours so I couldn't put money on my laundry card when I needed too. We have copies of work orders that were never done and the management has changed three times since I have lived there. I can also get the document of everything that was wrong with the apt. I have the persons direct number that inspected the apt and all I have to do is go pick up the paper.
Well then move out, send demands for the security deposit, and sue them if they dont return it.

nevermind any garbage they give you about the lease, they cant enforce it if the dwelling is certified unenhabitable.

casperjasper200

I have already moved out I moved out the very next day I had off. The apt. was deamed unlivable because of the roach and mold problem. After a month of living there I new about the roach problem but was bombing and spraying and setting traps all the time so I was taking care of that problem but now knowing there was mold too I couldn't take living there anymore.

atomizer

So, what you did is move out without giving your landlord the opportunity correct the problem. Had you done so, management could have relocated you to another unit or put you up at a hotel while the roach problem and mold problem was addressed. Did you notify the landlord that you had a roach and mold problem?

FarmerJ

You want a copy of the order for when you go to court , if it was a condemn order where it says no one can live in the unit, thats all you will need to ask the court to find in your favor since LL has no defense against a condemn order. If all they had written was a repair order for corrections the actual order itself would say just that. If it really is a condemn order then go file asking not only for full deposit refund BUT the number of days of rent you paid for from the date on the order to the end of the month to be refunded. LL can song and dance all they want on it but if another governmental agency has declared the unit unfit for living courts tend to side with agency that wrote the order.

casperjasper200

I did contact my apt. the day I found out about the mold I had no knowledge of the mold untill I was told. I told them I no longer wanted to live there knowing that I had been living in mold for the last 2 years. Also they have posted if you are not satisfied within the first 30 days you can get out of your contract without any penalties well I signed the contract 2 days before I told them I wanted to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">