• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment is floating/Management won't fix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have lived in a brand new apartment complex for the last year. I have never paid my rent late and never cause any problems. This ground level apartment has been leaking since the day I moved in, water fills the living room around the fireplace and ruined over 3500.00 of furniture,clothing and personal items. After ten months they found out it was the fireplace had no flashing and had never been sealed by the builder.The smell and mold was terrible. I called the Attorney General Office and followed the tentant rules and after written letters, photos, and witnesses they said I could withhold my rent showing the damages and repair bills but I could be evicted. My renter insurance would have been cancelled if I filed a claim for the repairs that were the apartment problem. We are now at a standoff they said they would file with their insurance but I need to pay the rent. I said we could attend the landlord/Tentant council per the Attorney General Office but they would not do it. What can I do without ruining my credit or losing my renters insurance. I live in Texas.

L

LL

Who told you that your renters insurance would be cancelled if you made a claim? Isn't that what you pay for?

M

mary hartman

YOU MUST file a claim with your renters insurance, if any IDIOT does anything stupid like threaten to cancel, call your state Insurance commisioner and file a formal complaint against the agent and company...

Renters insurance is for YOUR stuff.......

SO Take a day off from work and GET IT DONE.. no excuses!!!

[Edited by mary hartman on 04-18-2001 at 08:14 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">