• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharpie44

I'm an Ohio resident.

Thursday I came home around 9:30 to find my apartment flooding. My roommates room and half the living room was a swamp. We managed to get everything out with minimal damages but it took them until about 10:00 the next day to find the problem and stop the water from cumming in. This happened to every apartment on the bottom floor of my building not just mine.

They got the carpet guy there that day to soak up as much of the water as he could and put in blowers. This was on the 17th and the next day we were told that they would replace the carpet on the 25th. We have to move all our stuff out or into the master bed room(my room) so that they can replace the carpet.

Basically my roommate has to move out or sleep on my floor for a week and I don't want to stay here because of the smell. The blowers have been running non stop on my electricity and I can't get a straight answer on whether or not it was fresh water cumming in to my apartment. I have it from a reliable source that it might not have been.

At the very least i don't want to have to pay for rent or the eight days that I have to have my stuff out of the apartment. I would rather have the whole month off considering this flood was not my fault it was the apartments and It's adversely affecting my life. I'll take what i can get. :(

ecmst12

But, your landlord can't legally collect rent when the apartment is uninhabitable. Don't expect the whole month off, but any days you can't stay there you should not have to pay for.

Sharpie44

But, your landlord can't legally collect rent when the apartment is uninhabitable. Don't expect the whole month off, but any days you can't stay there you should not have to pay for.
I have plenty of renters insurance but that doesn't cover everything.

All I really want is the week that we have to have our stuff out of the bedroom and the living room and i want part of my electricity bill paid for. All our stuff that was damaged is being handled by the renters insurance.

I don't think that is to much to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">