• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment has denied adding fiancee to lease...how/long often can she visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cryiron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I live in income based Section 8 housing in southern Indiana. My leasing office declined to add my fiancee to my lease due to rental problems (broken lease, back rent) during her pervious marriage. We both have pending jobs that will make it impossible to live in the current housing, but those are three months down the line. We are both currently going through debt consolidation, but that will also take months. I have been told that once her problems are cleared she could be added to lease.

Lease states that someone can visit for two weeks before having to get added to lease as an occupant. She has already reached this limit. I have three children and very little money in reserve, so can not afford to get another place if evicted. She will move all of her possessions over to a mutual friends house, but we are both concerned about the definition of legal occupancy, since my fiancee is often at my apartment as our relationship grows and she also cannot currently afford an apartment of her own.

Questions:

If she visits or watches children while I work, how many hours per day can she spend in the apartment without being considered an occupant? Or is occupancy just based on if anything is stored in the household that is her property? She also has a vehicle that is parked here.

Thanks in advance! if more clarification is needed to answer the question, just ask.

Last edited:

Cryiron

Subsidized development, I believe. It is not county based, the apartment does their own section 8. I applied through the leasing office. That fact has given me some issues before with repairs and excessive/zealous inspections because they are not as closely supervised by the state. I moved here after my divorce because funds were low and I had no choice.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

Visit on the weekends or stay with her at friends'....she can not live in the apartment that TAXPAYERS are subsidizing for YOUR benefit....marry her!!! or visit her!!

DeenaCA

It sounds like Section 8 through HUD's multifamily programs, as opposed to the voucher program.

Here's one of the lease terms you agreed to at move-in (model lease from HUD Handbook 4350.3):
The Tenant agrees to permit other individuals to reside in the unit only after obtaining the prior written approval of the Landlord.​

You're in violation of your lease since you already moved her in, and the landlord can evict you. There is no way to keep her living there and evade the lease requirement. Moving her car/possessions or calling her a child care provider will not work.

If you can afford market-rate housing, look for a landlord that will accept you & your girlfriend as tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">