• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment messed up my income then evicted me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JGonzalez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My form of income is renting my personal car to travelers here in Florida. I just purchased a new car and was using the money I made from that to pay my rent to my apartment complex. My car is registered but I never received my license plates in the mail. After me being suspicious, I called fed ex and they said that someone in my front office signed for it and told me her name. Since I did not have plates on my car(because my apartment complex neglected to call or inform me of my package) I could not rent it out and therefor did not have money to pay my rent leading to an eviction.

I also couldn't just order new plates because my license is suspended. (I don't drive the car, tourist do)

When I called the complex, the woman who signed for it said she remembered signing for it but it was no where to be found. I never even got an apology, just an "it's your fault that we lost your mail because you were not there when the fed ex driver came."

It was also never returned to the sender as it stated they are suppose to do after 3 days in my contract.

I've called upper management and left multiple messages but have yet to receive a returned call.

Do I have a case? Do you think I could at least work the eviction off my record?

Please help me. I'm struggling and they're are being extremely arrogant.

Thank you
Joshua G

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My form of income is renting my personal car to travelers here in Florida. I just purchased a new car and was using the money I made from that to pay my rent to my apartment complex. My car is registered but I never received my license plates in the mail. After me being suspicious, I called fed ex and they said that someone in my front office signed for it and told me her name. Since I did not have plates on my car(because my apartment complex neglected to call or inform me of my package) I could not rent it out and therefor did not have money to pay my rent leading to an eviction.

I also couldn't just order new plates because my license is suspended. (I don't drive the car, tourist do)

When I called the complex, the woman who signed for it said she remembered signing for it but it was no where to be found. I never even got an apology, just an "it's your fault that we lost your mail because you were not there when the fed ex driver came."

It was also never returned to the sender as it stated they are suppose to do after 3 days in my contract.

I've called upper management and left multiple messages but have yet to receive a returned call.

Do I have a case? Do you think I could at least work the eviction off my record?

Please help me. I'm struggling and they're are being extremely arrogant.

Thank you
Joshua G
Barring something more, you don't have a case.

What does you having a suspended license have to do with being unable to order replacement plates?

JGonzalez

In the state of Florida. You cannot order new license plates of you do not have a license. They won't even let the co-buyer(who has an active license) order my plates.

When someone signs for a package, does that not make them directly responsible for the item?

Zigner

In the state of Florida. You cannot order new license plates of you do not have a license. They won't even let the co-buyer(who has an active license) order my plates.
Then how do you expect to get plates for the new car in the first place? (rhetorical)

When someone signs for a package, does that not make them directly responsible for the item?
Not unless there is somehow a duty imposed on them.

JGonzalez

Barring something more, you don't have a case.

What does you having a suspended license have to do with being unable to order replacement plates?

JGonzalez

Then how do you expect to get plates for the new car in the first place? (rhetorical)

Not unless there is somehow a duty imposed on them.
I purchased the car from a dealer before my license got suspended. I had temporary plates but they expired. I never got my initial plates in the mail. I just don't understand how it's okay for them to be able to steal our packages and there be no type of compensation when there's clear proof that they did not send it back after the stated 3 days and there is a signature there from an active employee.

Then evict me

Zigner

I purchased the car from a dealer before my license got suspended. I had temporary plates but they expired. I never got my initial plates in the mail. I just don't understand how it's okay for them to be able to steal our packages and there be no type of compensation when there's clear proof that they did not send it back after the stated 3 days and there is a signature there from an active employee.

Then evict me
Slow down there. First off, there is nothing to show that the plates were stolen. They were simply misplaced. Second, even if they could be found to have failed in some duty to you for your package, they aren't going to be liable for further damages (otherwise known as consequential damages) because YOU got your license suspended.

JGonzalez

Slow down there. First off, there is nothing to show that the plates were stolen. They were simply misplaced. Second, even if they could be found to have failed in some duty to you for your package, they aren't going to be liable for further damages (otherwise known as consequential damages) because YOU got your license suspended.

Okay, I understand that I am the one who got my license suspended. They are not responsible for that. They are responsible for losing my license plates. The initial plates when I purchased the car were mailed directly to my front office and signed by someone in the office who knows she signed for it. Then all of a sudden the package isn't there anymore. Isn't that a breach of bailment?

Zigner

Okay, I understand that I am the one who got my license suspended. They are not responsible for that. They are responsible for losing my license plates. The initial plates when I purchased the car were mailed directly to my front office and signed by someone in the office who knows she signed for it. Then all of a sudden the package isn't there anymore. Isn't that a breach of bailment?
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Even if it is, it's really not reasonably foreseeable, nor is it their fault that your actions caused you to be unable to get a duplicate set of plates (it could be argued that they might be held responsible for the cost of getting new plates), nor is it reasonably foreseeable that a simple mistake such as that would lead to you not being able to earn money, causing you to be unable to pay rent.

Where would it stop?

Are they responsible for your broken arm for falling over a box you left in the walkway when you had to move out because you couldn't pay your rent because you couldn't register your car because you got your license suspended sometime between buying your car and receiving the plates?

Are they responsible for your you not falling in love with your soulmate because she didn't like the look of your forearm caused by you breaking your arm by falling over a box you left in the walkway when you had to move out because you couldn't pay your rent because you couldn't register your car because you got your license suspended sometime between buying your car and receiving the plates?

I could go on and on...but the courts wouldn't.

ETA: I have a friend who met his first wife when she came to his house riding along with her friend who did landscaping. A sprinkler pipe had broken due to a faulty installation and her friend was out to fix it. Should the guy who originally installed the sprinklers be held responsible for the alimony my friend had to pay?

Last edited:

STEPHAN

Are you operating your rental business out of that location? Is you business properly licensed and insured?

JGonzalez

Are you operating your rental business out of that location? Is you business properly licensed and insured?

I use an a business called Turo to rent the car. Everything is legal. At this point, I am more worried about retrieving my plates so I can start to make money again to pay for my new home. Any suggestions?

Zigner

I use an a business called Turo to rent the car. Everything is legal. At this point, I am more worried about retrieving my plates so I can start to make money again to pay for my new home. Any suggestions?
They're gone - you'll need to apply for new ones. That means you're going to have to deal with your suspension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">