• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Neighbor Problems WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerseysgrl0182

I live in an apartment with my fiance. We have only lived here for 4 months and we are wanting to get out of our lease. When we moved in the garbage was at every building location and easily accessible. About a month after we moved in they moved the garbage to one building's location and now we have to put it in the car and drive over there to get rid of it. Then about a month after that, the child that lives across from us threw full beer bottles at our door putting dents in it. (We have a peep hole, so I was able to catch the kid in action :)) I called the manager who lives on site, and she said she would talk to his father about it. We asked that he clean the mess up. The child never did. It sat for a couple of weeks. We then thought everything was fine, untill this Saturday when we came home from grocery shopping. We had our first big snow this year and there was a pile on our dormat of snow. Low and behold the broom they used to sweep was proped up right next to the door where the naughty boy lives. I called and complained again. So they decided to clean off our doorstep at 1:30 in the morning and shovel the rest of the sidewalk. That was VERY irritating!! The very next day we caught the kid throwing snowballs at our door. The manager isn't doing anything, and if she is nothing is working. We have an opportunity to move somewhere bigger and better for the same price and we want to take it. With all of these problems that I have listed, I'm wondering if we will be able to break our lease with out any penalties.

johnd

With all of these problems that I have listed, I'm wondering if we will be able to break our lease with out any penalties.
If you can substantiate these problems (photos and video) and the ll does not resolve them after you have given him written notice (at least a couple of notices for these more "minor" offenses), I see no problem with your move-out. It is a breach, but justified.

FarmerJ

No , having a neighbor who will not turn around a childs poor choices ( Old fashion parental tool connected to wrist making occaisional contact with a sensitive mid region area while child in prone position) is not reason to break the lease. If childs behaviour causes damage again and is witnessed call the police , file a report . Other wise sit down with your LL and negotiate with the LL for a dollar amount that would give you a signed cancelation letter so your not obligated to the lease any more.

jerseysgrl0182

No , having a neighbor who will not turn around a childs poor choices ( Old fashion parental tool connected to wrist making occaisional contact with a sensitive mid region area while child in prone position) is not reason to break the lease. If childs behaviour causes damage again and is witnessed call the police , file a report . Other wise sit down with your LL and negotiate with the LL for a dollar amount that would give you a signed cancelation letter so your not obligated to the lease any more.
Unfortuneatly, the dad doesn't seem much of a disciplinarian. We have never gotten an apology and the kid is throwing stuff at our door right now. The dad doesn't even seem to be around or notice what his son is doing. I'm very afraid that he might figure out what cars we drive and they will be next!!! :(

johnd

No , having a neighbor who will not turn around a childs poor choices
My comment was not on how to raise one's child but:

1) criminal damage to property;
2) criminal mischief, harassment, or nuisance; and,
3) a tenant's inviolate right to quiet enjoyment.

Substantiate both the damage/harassment and the LL's refusal (or inability) to cure, and you have every right to move out. Period.

jerseysgrl0182

My comment was not on how to raise one's child but:

1) criminal damage to property;
2) criminal mischief, harassment, or nuisance; and,
3) a tenant's inviolate right to quiet enjoyment.

Substantiate both the damage/harassment and the LL's refusal (or inability) to cure, and you have every right to move out. Period.
Would we be able to get out of our lease because of it? Or legally would we still have to buy our way out?

johnd

Would we be able to get out of our lease because of it? Or legally would we still have to buy our way out?
Per answer #2, it is a breach, but nonetheless a justified move out if you substantiate (to the point of loss of quiet enjoyment or repeated harassment).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Per answer #2, it is a breach, but nonetheless a justified move out if you substantiate (to the point of loss of quiet enjoyment or repeated harassment).
Bull. YOu woul dhave to prove that the landlord did nothing to stop the problems.

johnd

Bull. YOu woul dhave to prove that the landlord did nothing to stop the problems.
Bull?

You apparently write as well as you read as well as you comprehend. If you would have taken the time to read post #2 (I wrote it simply enough so that even a person of your intellect could understand it) you would see that my answer is complete and correct.

So, Bull back. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">